Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has anyone quit their job to study?

WickedLostWickedLost Member
in General 481 karma

I'm considering quitting my job to focus solely on studying for the August exam and then start applying to new jobs right after. I'm studying 1.5 - 2 hours during the work day but I feel like I still have so much potential left and not much time (been studying since March 2020). The new project I've been assigned is mentally draining and I'm very lucky to have been able to save money over the past few years to be able to afford not working for a few months but I'm worried the stress might make it a counterproductive decision. Has anyone decided to temporarily quit and focus on the exam? If so, did you regret it or was it worth it?

Comments

• emg12345emg12345 Member
    43 karma

I did!! I was working in finance consulting, which means extremely long hours and being expected to be "on" at all times. Late nights and early mornings. I tried to make it work by waking up at 4:00a every morning to study, but I was so burnt out that my studying, health, and work suffered. I decided to quit my job and it was the best decision I made. I quit in April and am taking the June exam. Maybe even the August exam too.

There is nothing holding you back from getting another job after you finish the exams. Even if it is a part time job, I assume you're like me and will be hopefully starting school next fall.

Don't regret not being able to put your everything into this exam. If you have some hardcore focus for a few months, you'll be able to reap benefits (admission, scholarship, opportunities, etc).

As I said, quitting was the best decision I have made. I am in a better place mentally, and it shows in my studying and how I interact with people. Good luck with your decision and studying. Please reach out to me if you have any questions.. I am here to support you because I know this is not an easy decision.

Best wishes!

• No, but i went from working 40+ hours to 20 or so.

• whatlikeitshardwhatlikeitshard Alum Member
    220 karma

Interested to hear more people's take on this! I started a new job in January and it has been very demanding with long hours. I would get home mentally exhausted and not able to study at all. It's gotten better the last month so I've been able to study more but I still think about quitting. I've always worked (part time in high school and college) so quitting really freaks me out but I might be willing to do it if work picks back up again and I'm not happy with where I'm at in my studying. Wishing you the best in your decision!

• TheDirtyWooTheDirtyWoo Member
    39 karma

I was in the same boat. Quitting also freaks me out, and I have always had significant workloads, but I severely underestimated how much it takes to balance quality (I am purposely emphasizing quality here) studying with a full-time job. I gave myself a three month window and it has not been enough. I have not been in a position to quit my job and feel secure. However, if your personal circumstances allow you to take time off to focus solely on studying, then I would recommend doing it. That being said, the one thing I realized quickly is that I could get very little quality studying done after work. I forced myself to wake up early to study before work and felt like I made significantly more progress during those hours than anything I tried to do after work. No matter what you end up deciding, please take care of yourself mentally and physically as well. I wish you the best!

• WickedLostWickedLost Member
    481 karma

Thank you all so much for sharing your perspective and experience. I decided to take the risk, I think I'll regret not reaching my potential due to lack of time/exhaustion, especially after juggling both for over a year already. I definitely agree with the advice of studying in the morning, before your energy is depleted from work. It's been the most important part of my study plan so far and would recommend it to anyone who is juggling other commitments.

• Bebe2026Bebe2026 Member
    89 karma

I am a paralegal for a huge insurance defense firm. I handle anywhere between 100-150 files. I have been studying since October 2020. Between work, taking care of my husband and kids, and some unexpected medical issues, I average maybe 2 hours a day studying? I am about to go on FMLA leave for a major surgery and the plan was to originally work from home during the recovery. The firm changed their minds and asked me to take the leave instead. And I am NOT complaining. I am very much looking forward to ONLY studying for the next 9 weeks. Everything happens for a reason.

• WickedLostWickedLost Member
    481 karma

@Bebe2026 said:
    I am a paralegal for a huge insurance defense firm. I handle anywhere between 100-150 files. I have been studying since October 2020. Between work, taking care of my husband and kids, and some unexpected medical issues, I average maybe 2 hours a day studying? I am about to go on FMLA leave for a major surgery and the plan was to originally work from home during the recovery. The firm changed their minds and asked me to take the leave instead. And I am NOT complaining. I am very much looking forward to ONLY studying for the next 9 weeks. Everything happens for a reason.

That's great, good luck and hope your recovery goes well! I lucked out as well and they allowed me to take a couple months leave so I won't have to job search after.