Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Test Day Tips, Please!

123anami123anami Member
in June 2021 LSAT 388 karma

Hi everyone! Since the June flex is coming up, just wanted to ask anyone and everyone if you all have tips to make sure everything goes smoothly on test day (to the extent that we can control) and/or tips to keep your cool the week leading up to it. Any guidance will be much appreciated, since this will be my first LSAT. Thanks all :)

Comments

• Clementine-2Clementine-2 Member
    208 karma

I've taken the flex three times now and I recommend the following:

Clear your desk of all items the night before and clean your floors. Remove books especially

Make sure your computer is caught up with all updates

Use zoom to test your Mic and camera. You can also use voice recorder to see how you sound to make sure you're clear

Test your mouse. If it uses batteries change them.

Test your WiFi speeds and make sure your good to go

Double check your supplies and make sure you have everything you need that's allowed.

Double check your time on Proctor U and if you have accommodations make sure you got the email to confirm your accommodations

Go into Proctor U and set up everything ahead of time (there should be something for you to download and possibly an extension)

Set your alarm ahead of time enough for you to be able to eat, breathe, use the bathroom and breathe

Start up your computer at least 30 mins before your test

Follow their instructions and kick LSAT butt!

(If anything goes wrong during the exam, contact proctor u on the live chat. If they don't help you or give you a hard time, call LSAC immediately. If they stop your test or you lose time, you can reschedule the test.)

• Michelle V.Michelle V. Member
    29 karma

Can I use a dry erase board and markers???????PLease answer asap

• corey.alcivarcorey.alcivar Core Member
    17 karma

To my knowledge, no that is not allowed.

• 123anami123anami Member
    388 karma

@Clementine-2 this is so immensely useful. Thank you so very much!!!

• thinklikealawyerthinklikealawyer Core Member
    284 karma

SKIP HARD GAMES AND QUESTIONS. Come back to them at the end after you've gone through the questions you feel most confident in. This has been a game changer in my prep. I wish I would have done this on April flex, as I spent too much time trying to figure out hard games at the beginning and threw me off for the rest of the section. Good luck :)

• PlatinumPlatinum Member
    363 karma

Avoid using wifi. Use ethernet cable for internet connection.

388 karma

@thinklikealawyer said:
    SKIP HARD GAMES AND QUESTIONS.

I've started doing this recently and you're absolutely right. Game changer and saves you so much time at the end.

If you're taking the June flex good luck to you too!!!

388 karma

@Platinum said:

I wish I could do this but my only laptop doesn't have the cable slot :( I'm opting to ban everyone in my house from wifi for the couple hours I'm testing instead lol

• jaclynmillerjaclynmiller Member
    17 karma

@Clementine-2 just wondering if you had any experience or know of anyone whose macbook fan went off during the exam or if this is known to happen with Proctor U?

• onomatopoeiaonomatopoeia Member
    59 karma

Oh dear... I just used Zoom to hear what I sound like, and it's miserably bad. Is there anything I can do, or anything I'm allowed to plug in to improve it?

• philsmith1314philsmith1314 Member
    23 karma

@onomatopoeia They're not going to allow you to plug in any type of external hardware into your computer while taking the test. It doesn't matter if your audio quality is bad. The only reason they need to hear you is to ensure you're not receiving instructions or cheating in any way.

• sarahblairsarahblair Core Member
    604 karma

@jaclynmiller wondering the same. I did LSAT Writing last night and that software made my fan go crazy. I don't get what it is that causes this on so many applications.

• jaclynmillerjaclynmiller Member
    17 karma

@sarahblair said:
    @jaclynmiller wondering the same. I did LSAT Writing last night and that software made my fan go crazy. I don't get what it is that causes this on so many applications.

Mine did too! Maybe it is just the LSAT writing software. I spoke with someone from Proctor U today and they said it shouldn't make the fan go crazy. I hope they are right because I find it a bit distracting!

• 273 karma

@Platinum said:

Does this work better?

• calmacalma12calmacalma12 Member
    41 karma

Does anyone know if you are able to use earplugs on the flex?

I also have 2 computer monitors on my desk I use for my full time job (they can't be removed easily). I'm taking the test on my Macbook on the same desk--is it okay to have the monitors there if they are both turned off and I put a blanket over it?

• 103 karma

@123anami said:

@Platinum said:

I wish I could do this but my only laptop doesn't have the cable slot :( I'm opting to ban everyone in my house from wifi for the couple hours I'm testing instead lol

thats what im doing. I have banished everyone from my house for test day lol

388 karma

@wenjia09 said:
    Does anyone know if you are able to use earplugs on the flex?

I also have 2 computer monitors on my desk I use for my full time job (they can't be removed easily). I'm taking the test on my Macbook on the same desk--is it okay to have the monitors there if they are both turned off and I put a blanket over it?

You need to have all monitors removed or covered - and yes you can use earplugs! Just make sure they are soft, non-electronic, non-corded/banded, generic foam ear plugs.

388 karma

@puneetmotiwala lmao honestly, can't trust anyone to be quiet when you need them to be. Better safe than sorry!

• turvsbroturvsbro Member
    90 karma

@123anami said:

@Platinum said:

they make an adapter for ethernet to usb. I will be using one (:

• 150 karma

Does anyone know how to make the pop ups stop on Macbook whenever your proctor switches with another proctor? It is distracting to see the chat app bouncing up and down during your test

388 karma

@turvsbro omg you're about to save my life

• ErikaCastilloErikaCastillo Member
    3 karma

does anyone who has taken the test before have any tips on what to do if you finish your exam early? how does test day look like during the exam? first-time test taker :)

• turvsbroturvsbro Member
    90 karma

@123anami said:
    @turvsbro omg you're about to save my life

i think it was like $15 but i could be mistaken. somewhere in that range tho. worth it for sure!

• @ErikaCastillo said:
    does anyone who has taken the test before have any tips on what to do if you finish your exam early? how does test day look like during the exam? first-time test taker :)

You can IM your proctor and they will say coolio and submit and disconnect for you!

• Everyone: PLEASE LET YOUR PROCTOR KNOW TO PAUSE THE TEST IF THEY NEED TO SPEAK WITH YOU. A lot of them for some ungodly reason just blabber while the timer is running, it's ridiculous and you won't get that time back. I let mine know before starting the April Flex and he happily obliged.

388 karma

@"Timmy Is an Avg Kid that No One Understands" said:
    Everyone: PLEASE LET YOUR PROCTOR KNOW TO PAUSE THE TEST IF THEY NEED TO SPEAK WITH YOU. A lot of them for some ungodly reason just blabber while the timer is running, it's ridiculous and you won't get that time back. I let mine know before starting the April Flex and he happily obliged.

bless you for this. so many unwritten rules to worry about because of ProctorU - I haven't even thought about this until now

363 karma

@"Excellent.Fondue" said:

@Platinum said:

Does this work better?

If you are connected to internet via ethernet cable vs wifi you reduce the chances of your internet getting spotty and having glitches. I had that issue when I sat for the LSAT. My internet had some sort of glitch and the test froze in the middle of reading comp. I had to wait for 20 minutes or so to get logged back in and had to do the whole camera view of my room and area. So yeah, I think it is a better idea to not use wifi, plus they advise to use ethernet connection. Most people probably will not have this issue, but better safe than to get flustered over internet issues in the middle of your test.

• Confidence150Confidence150 Alum Member
    1417 karma

I read that cell phone is allowed for check in for Flex. Does anyone know what do we do if we experience technical difficulties and lose connection during the exam? Can we call LSAC immediately? Where can we have our cell phone after the check-in?

• edited June 2021 182 karma

@Confidence123

"One cell phone is allowed for use as a mirror during check-in as instructed by your proctor, but it must be turned off and put away as instructed by the proctor before the test begins."

I know it does not really answer your question, but to me it implies that technical difficulties must not be communicated via phone. Think about it, if you are having issues so bad that you need to call, you pretty much need to start over.

388 karma

@Confidence123 on website it says you just need to put it face down out of arms reach. @ekatekuzn you should absolutely call LSAC and ProctorU if anything arises and you can’t reach your proctor during the exam.

• Confidence150Confidence150 Alum Member
    1417 karma

Thank you @123anami and good luck on your June test!! :)

388 karma

@Confidence123 thank you!!! :blush:

• 273 karma

@Platinum said:

@"Excellent.Fondue" said:

@Platinum said:

Does this work better?

If you are connected to internet via ethernet cable vs wifi you reduce the chances of your internet getting spotty and having glitches. I had that issue when I sat for the LSAT. My internet had some sort of glitch and the test froze in the middle of reading comp. I had to wait for 20 minutes or so to get logged back in and had to do the whole camera view of my room and area. So yeah, I think it is a better idea to not use wifi, plus they advise to use ethernet connection. Most people probably will not have this issue, but better safe than to get flustered over internet issues in the middle of your test.

Thank you for your response! Do you mind sharing more about the what happened once you got logged out? Were you disconnected from the proctor entirely? Did they pause the clock for you so that you were able to resume with the same amount of time left?

I had some trouble when I took the test too. I got the "internet unstable" message and got brought to another tab and a few times. Was this what happened to you too, or did you get logged out altogether?

I have a Mac and I've never used ethernet on this, so I'll have to figure out how to do that.

363 karma

Hey @Excellent.Fondue apologies for the late response. Yeah the wifi issues happened to me exactly as you mentioned happened during your test. But also I got completely logged off because it said I had internet connection issues "internet unstable" and then just froze. My time was paused and it was in the middle of a reading comprehension passage. I had to wait to get logged back in and my proctor had to look at my room and do the same security checks and room camera check-ups. I used a mac also. I hope others use ethernet so that they don't run into that problem. Even though that glitch happened, I just took my deep breathes, regrouped and kept pushing through the section. It was more annoying than anything.