Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Career Decisions

SwimberlySwimberly Free Trial Member
edited June 2021 in Off-topic 5 karma

Hello,

I am stopping in to seek some advice. I am currently finishing my BA online and will have a GPA just below 3.5. Now, I am recently medically retired military with 13 years active service. I am at a crossroads of what I want to do for my career. I have been stuck on Law School for the last year or so, specifically Georgetown Law. If accepted I would be able to go to school for absolutely free due to GI/Yellow Ribbon, and I can do part time while holding a full time job. However, over the past month or so I have really been questioning if that's what I want to do. I have also considering a MBA in marketing or similar. I think the biggest deterrent from a JD was work life balance. Although salary is not my number 1 priority, it is an important factor in life. I have heard stories go both ways, people are happy, and people are disappointed. I am just seeking some advice and clarification. I am again at a crossroads and just unsure of what to do. Should I attend law school or do an MBA. Which in somonis opinion would be a good starting salary with a good work life balance? Again, I am 31 and have a family, I am willing to work hard for what I want, but I have already missed birthdays, holidays, and important things I wish I could have back.

Degree Advice
  1. Law School or MBA15 votes
    1. Law School
      46.67%
    2. MBA
      53.33%

Comments

• ryanhardenmdryanhardenmd Alum Member
    edited June 2021 41 karma

Fellow Military here. Happy to walk through whatever you're thinking about together. Just pm me and I can give you my cell. Both my parents went to Georgetown Law, so I can speak to it -- if that helps.

• CSieck3507CSieck3507 Member
    1376 karma

I am telling you right now (and sorry to be the barrier of bad news...) but only go to law school if you REALLY WANT TO GO TO LAW SCHOOL. Don't just go to go. While you may be getting it for free, is studying for the LSAT for 6 or longer months worth your time to get a top score? (Definitely need a good score for GT) Is grinding out your 1L year staying up hours of the night just to get good grades worth it? You have to really consider outside factors and what you want to do for a career. Is it possible for what you want to do to not have a JD? If so, then why go to law school?

You have to be committed to going to law school and if you are asking the forum on what you should do, it sounds to me you want some assurance that you are making the correct choice by going. Unfortunately only you know what you want to do. So, what I say is that if you TRULY want to go to law school go for it. If you can get a career that you enjoy without law school, don't go. It is just not worth your time especially if family is your number one priority.

• annaemurphy279annaemurphy279 Core Member
    99 karma

Good morning,

I am inclined to agree with the commenter above me... Going to law school is not like any other graduate experience in that it demands so much from students, and there is simply no way to bypass what it demands without falling behind very quickly. It sounds like you're a very squared away individual who can handle a lot at one time, however law school (especially 1L) will demand a lot of the emotional labor you might otherwise spend on your family, and dividing it between the two will be really challenging. Obviously many people attend law school and have families, but as the previous commenter stated, you should not go to law school if you're not 100% certain that's what you want to do- especially if you're going to enter a school such as GT which will be peppered with competitive students. If you have doubts now, it doesn't mean you should not apply, at the very least you could delay one year to see if your career goals can be achieved through an MBA or if you're willing to make the sacrifices necessary to get your JD. A little extra time to contemplate options/ get your ducks in a row never hurt anybody. Best of luck.

• jjjooee3000jjjooee3000 Core Member
    16 karma

@CSieck3507 makes I think the most important point. Writers don't write because they want to. They because they need do. They feel a compulsion for it. I'm not saying you need to feel the same sort of impulse when it comes to the law, but frankly it needs to be pretty close. I don't mean this as a put down or a diss whatsoever. If you're genuinely not sure, if you want to yes but a part of you keeps saying no, then you might already have your answer.