Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is LSAT test taking skill acquired or innate?

Webby_SongdoWebby_Songdo Alum Member
edited June 2021 in General 677 karma

Is LSAT test taking skill acquired or innate?

Let's have a discussion.

Question of the Day
  1. Is LSAT test taking skill acquired or innate?85 votes
    1. ACQUIRED
      76.47%
    2. INNATE
      23.53%

Comments

• TimeIsMoneyTimeIsMoney Member
    495 karma

I think that some people can naturally think in the LSAT way better, but the test taking skills can definitely be acquired. If you have the time and money to spare, you can learn the test and score high.

• Ellie.hodgson8Ellie.hodgson8 Core Member
    edited June 2021 8 karma

mix!

• shaybaebeeshaybaebee Member
    185 karma

I believe its acquired, naturally some people are more critical thinkers from a young age, and over time continue to work on this. Its apparent when we see new test takers score in high %tiles. Regardless, there have been countless stories of people who go from 140 to 170+

• rhitt19rhitt19 Member
    34 karma

If it were strictly innate, we'd all be very stupid to subscribe to 7sage.

• dawgslaw123dawgslaw123 Alum Member
    138 karma

Some people have the skills innately, but for those that do not the test is 100% learnable without a doubt. Just takes the time and the effort.

• 123anami123anami Member
    388 karma

I definitely acquired all the skills LOL

• Bourne_SBourne_S Core Member
    16 karma

Basic schooling does teach everyone certain basics (such as Reading Comprehension) and as we move into university, we branch out into various disciplines that require the use of logical reasoning and applied methods of reading comprehension. So, based on schooling we develop this skills but there are still certain individuals who have an innate ability and are naturally gifted in these areas. While I would say many of us acquire the skill (through studying the LSATs), there is still a small percentage of students who don't require studying and thus don't require the acquisition of skill (because they have already honed in on it without formal studies).

• edited June 2021 114 karma

The question is flawed in that the author fails to consider the possibility that some combination of innate and learned skills contribute to LSAT test taking ability.

• edited June 2021 114 karma

I'm not sure what "innate skills" is supposed to mean but any differences in these hypothetical skills are attributable to differences in native intellectual ability. Assuming average+ natural intelligence, all of the skills needed to do very well on the test can be acquired with time and effort. But individuals absolutely do vary in natural intellectual capacity and therefore have different performance ceilings.

• 476 karma

I remember listening to a podcast that said it was innate and there was really no point in studying. It really shot my confidence because I started out at 147. BUT studying now and seeing improvement, I can definitely say it is acquired. There may be people who are more naturally attuned to test taking but, like everything in life, it is learnable.

I used to teach and the concepts of growth mindset and fixed mindset helped a lot in getting unstuck from that initial thought process. There is also a book called Grit by Angela Duckworth that I recommend.

Also it's super inspiring to listen to other 7Sagers' speak about their experiences on the 7Sage podcast.