June LSAT Jitters - How do you calm down?

zmaanseezmaansee Member

Anybody else just really anxious about this test for some reason? I know that I studied a lot but I really want this test to be awesome and kill it. I've been meditating before I do any LSAt stuff and that does help. Anyone have any other tips for calming down or relaxing when you get nervous or anxious? It's my first time taking it so also no idea what to expect.

how confident are you?
  1. On a scale of 1-5 how confident are you?77 votes
    1. 1 - god help me
      12.99%
    2. 2 - i'm not ready, but i'm here
      10.39%
    3. 3 - it is what it is I guess
      32.47%
    4. 4 - i got this i think
      37.66%
    5. 5 - you can't tell me nothing
        6.49%

Comments

• sandydanadurstsandydanadurst Core Member
    48 karma

my test scores were hitting my target and now they are lower than they've ever been. no idea what's going on.freaking out!!

• 120_or_bust120_or_bust Core Member
    124 karma

@sandydanadurst said:
    my test scores were hitting my target and now they are lower than they've ever been. no idea what's going on.freaking out!!

Despite what you may think, take a break. Even if you don't do any more PTs, the mental break will likely help rather than hurt.

• zmaanseezmaansee Member
    32 karma

@sandydanadurst said:

This was exactly happening to me last week. I was getting 9 points below my average for like 3-4 PT's

What I realized is that I stopped reading the LR and RC critically and stopped doing LG's without fully trying to find all the inferences I could. Basically my test taking strategies were getting lazy and I was relying to heavily on my intuition. So what I did was went back to basics and reviewed breifly each type of question to reinforce the process in my head. Remember every question comes down to

Know the question stem, seeing the conclusion, then the premise, and then figuring out what you need to do for the question.

After that my score went back up slightly but I decided to stop taking PT's and just review with the goal of reinforcing good habits.

Hope that helps!And also go easy on yourself, you were flying high before, you can get there again with gentle reminders.

• Confidence150Confidence150 Alum Member
    1417 karma

I saw a dip in my practice tests and sections last week. It was mainly due to rushing through the section and not knowing when to move on.

Trusting the process and slowing down with pacing are key!! Good luck and to June Flex test takers!! :)

• 123anami123anami Member
    388 karma

Take a break and actually commit to taking the break. It's in your hands now and you got it!!!

• Jahn.SnowJahn.Snow Member
    316 karma

I'm taking the LSAT for the first time tomorrow, and this advice really helps me out: don't take it with a score in mind, take it with just the thought of doing your best. Be actively forgiving with yourself during the exam (for ex: if you finish a section and you feel like you didn't do your best- forgive and go on). If you feel overwhelmed/ anxious/ panicky at any point, close your eyes and take some deep breaths, then open and continue when ready- this is not a waste of time, it's necessary to check in with yourself and your score will thank you for it. Pro tip: if you feel a surge of anxiety or stress, taking sips of water usually helps!

None of us will magically forget all we've learned and practice. As someone with anxiety, test taking is tough for me, but I feel calm right now because I really have it in my head that I'm simply going to do my best. The result will be what it'll be, and worst case I learn what I can from this experience, then do even better the next time.

WE'VE GOT THIS!