Help - Should I cancel my score?

edited June 2021 in General 61 karma

Hello everyone!

I just took the June LSAT Flex yesterday and really don't feel good about it. I know for a fact that I underperformed and my anxiety got the best of me. My first section was LG (which is usually my strongest section) but I was really nervous during the first game to the extent that I had to let it go and then come back at the end to finish it. After LG, I remembered I felt so bad that I was thinking to cancel the score during the exam. I did finish the four games and guessed on 1 question but I just really am not sure how I did.

My RC and LR were average I would say. I definitely could have done better because I was having some trouble concentrating sometimes during the test. I couldn't sleep the night before the exam so that really didn't help lol.

My PT average has been a 168 since April. And my April Flex score was a 164. After my April Flex I actually felt pretty ok but I got a 164. My fear is that if I don't cancel my score it is likely that it will be lower than my April score since I felt much worse than last time. I worry that the drop will not make my application look good.

And lastly, I have already signed up for August so I am retaking it anyway.

Thank you in advance for your insights and help! And congrats to everyone who has finished the test and best of luck to those who haven't taken it : )

Comments

• thinklikealawyerthinklikealawyer Core Member
    284 karma

I am having the same debate with myself. I read there's a negative stigma around cancelling but would it be worse than having a June score show lower then April? I am in the same boat as you. Following this thread hopefully for some insight

• 61 karma

@thinklikealawyer said:
    I am having the same debate with myself. I read there's a negative stigma around cancelling but would it be worse than having a June score show lower then April? I am in the same boat as you. Following this thread hopefully for some insight

Best of luck to you! I have seen your posts before and I know how hard you have worked on this test : )

• thinklikealawyerthinklikealawyer Core Member
    284 karma

@oatmilklatte12 said:

@thinklikealawyer said:

Best of luck to you! I have seen your posts before and I know how hard you have worked on this test : )

Thank you so much! I appreciate your kind words... best of luck to you as well :)

• valeriehevaleriehe Member
    edited June 2021 148 karma

The link above helps explain the panic after the exam, and the result, most of the time, ends up better than you predict.
    The technical question: will canceling affect my applications negatively?
    US News posts and former admission officers' info section mentioned that once won't hurt the applications. You just need to explain in the applications about why canceling: sick, anxiety, etc
    My personal opinion judging by posts I read about law school applications, a lower score trend is probably worse than one canceled score, but not detrimental at all!

We are just discussing the strategy above. You might feel you want to see the score you get after a two-month heart-pouring effort, and I think it is also perfectly fine.
    Just breathe and stay calm. You will do great!

• 61 karma

Thank you! This is very helpful!

• 61 karma

@valeriehe said:
    The link above helps explain the panic after the exam, and the result, most of the time, ends up better than you predict.
    The technical question: will canceling affect my applications negatively?
    US News posts and former admission officers' info section mentioned that once won't hurt the applications. You just need to explain in the applications about why canceling: sick, anxiety, etc
    My personal opinion judging by posts I read about law school applications, a lower score trend is probably worse than one canceled score, but not detrimental at all!

We are just discussing the strategy above. You might feel you want to see the score you get after a two-month heart-pouring effort, and I think it is also perfectly fine.
    Just breathe and stay calm. You will do great!

Thank you for this! Really appreciate the strategy analysis : )

• valeriehevaleriehe Member
    148 karma

Hi friend, just to update you with an info I get from my Spivey consultant. I got low 170 in June exam (aiming for 175+) and he encouraged me to take August exam no matter I am prepared or not. He said it doesn't matter whether the score turns out to be lower than my June exam or not. He just stresses the importance to take the exam whenever you can (luck is part of this test) and the highest core is the one that matters. Even if the August score turns out to be lower, it won't impact my application.

• 61 karma

@valeriehe said:
    Hi friend, just to update you with an info I get from my Spivey consultant. I got low 170 in June exam (aiming for 175+) and he encouraged me to take August exam no matter I am prepared or not. He said it doesn't matter whether the score turns out to be lower than my June exam or not. He just stresses the importance to take the exam whenever you can (luck is part of this test) and the highest core is the one that matters. Even if the August score turns out to be lower, it won't impact my application.

Hi thank you so much for taking the time to reply and your thoughtful update. I am so grateful for your info & help : ) Best of luck with August!