Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you are studying for this test, you should be answering #help questions...

canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
edited June 2021 in Sage Advice 8313 karma

...here in the discussion forum as well as in the explanation video comments. That means the hard ones you don't wan't to answer. The ones from earlier PTs that don't have videos to check your understanding before posting. The ones about RC you don't want to do because you don't want to read the passage or maybe you're not even sure you understand it.

This is one of the highest value things you can do for your prep. There is no better way to learn and test your understanding of a concept than to try to teach it to someone else. You all should be pouncing on these questions as soon as you see them come up... like they shouldn't last 5 minutes going unanswered. It is beneficial for you, the person asking, and the community as a whole.

Be brave and push yourself. Seek to be proven wrong, don't avoid it. We improve the most at the threshold of failure.

Comments

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    edited June 2021 13286 karma

Just here to second this advice. Back when I took the test like 4 years ago I was eager to see people post questions. So I could test my understanding of it. Could I explain it? Was I too lost? - sometimes I didn’t even post the reply because it pointed out a major weakness and I had to go deal with it.

It’s a chance to help others while shoring up your own skills.

• This_is_HardThis_is_Hard Alum Member
    815 karma

How about the ones that leave comments saying "yaas I got 23/23 on this problem set" or "yaas 100% under 5 mins". That's all I really saw in the questions when I went through 7sage last year. Annoying as hell.

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    edited June 2021 8313 karma

@This_is_Hard said:
    How about the ones that leave comments saying "yaas I got 23/23 on this problem set" or "yaas 100% under 5 mins". That's all I really saw in the questions when I went through 7sage last year. Annoying as hell.

While I can empathize, this place is a community, a benefit of which is the ability to express pride in our accomplishments, as well as our frustrations (with the content, or even those aforementioned expressions of pride). This test can seem very isolating, and many people don't have friends of family that can relate to the difficulties of the test, or that can realize what an accomplishment each improvement is. So having a place that they can share their feelings is a huge benefit to both wellness and progress with this test. I think we should be happy for those people, and if anything use their successes to motivate us to pursue our own. Don't sleep on the role psychological wellness plays in our LSAT performance.

Also those people aren't responding to, or asking for, #help, so not what I was talking about anyway. To get back on topic, if a given question lacks any written explanations or requests for one... great opportunity to create one!

• 1050 karma

You’re so right. I definitely need to make this more of a priority. Good insight as always! @canihazJD

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    edited June 2021 8313 karma

@LSATcantwin said:
    Just here to second this advice. Back when I took the test like 4 years ago I was eager to see people post questions. So I could test my understanding of it. Could I explain it? Was I too lost? - sometimes I didn’t even post the reply because it pointed out a major weakness and I had to go deal with it.

It’s a chance to help others while shoring up your own skills.

Hey Glen, it was your episode that got me doing this! So, thank you! Hope you're kicking ass out there.

Edit: https://7sage.com/4-ama-w-7sager-lsatcantwin-171/

@"Burden.of.Floof" said:
    You’re so right. I definitely need to make this more of a priority. Good insight as always! @canihazJD

Severely undervalued practice. You learn and at the same time gain confidence that helps your test performance in so many ways... all while helping others.

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    edited June 2021 13286 karma

@This_is_Hard I typically looked for specific questions on the discussion board - not really within the curriculum. While I was in the curriculum I was still trying to wrap my head around everything and found comments of others less useful during that time.

It was during my push from 160 to 170, after the curriculum was complete, that I actively sought questions of others out.

My favorite posts were the ones titled: PT1, Section 4, q21 - because it was asking something very specific usually

• Lime Green DotLime Green Dot Member
    edited June 2021 1384 karma

I absolutely second this and can say that even if it's not for a question you'd previously flagged as 'hard,' you can still benefit from answering any #help LR/RC/LG-related question. This makes a fantastic warm-up to start your studies and bonus on being able to pay it forward :smiley:

• FindingSageFindingSage Alum Member
    2042 karma

I completely agree with this post and have found posting here to be a huge help to my own prep. I heard a statistic on an admissions podcast ( likely Spivey) that teachers score an average of 6 points higher on the LSAT. While we certainly can’t all rush out and become teachers the skill here that is enabling them to score higher is the ability not just to understand a concept themselves but the ability to understand it so well that they can break down for others- including people at different skill levels, people with different educational backgrounds and people whose learning style is not like our own.

In my prep I have found two wonderful way to replicate and really learn these skills:

The first and the point of this post is participating in discussion board posts, and answering questions posted on lessons. If people take the time to listen to podcasts from previous sages the advice is repeated time and time again that they found themselves enjoying the test more and improving their scores when they started participating on 7 Sage more.

I can attest to this and also say that because I have studied for an extensive period of time I have supplemented my studying with other study programs but since I have found 7Sage I have never left. And that is because the community is incredible! I have not had my own questions answered I have also been able to attend webinars, group tutoring from Sages at no cost. I have even held a couple of my own webinars to help give back to the community that has given me so much.

Participating in discussion board posts benefitted me a lot when I commuted to work and only had a short time to do some prep. Spending time really thinking through a question at the level I felt comfortable with posting an answer helped supplement my prep as well as helped others. I have received many messages of thanks from the community and those messages always brighten my day.

The second way to replicate the teaching experience is to join or start a small study group or study buddy. I joined and tried several groups before finally finding my people. I have studied with some of these people for over a year now. One of the most valuable things I have done with a group is to do RC passages or LR questions live. To look at questions you have never seen before and explain your process and articulate your reasoning really strengthens your understanding. I think it is also important to find people or a group where you feel comfortable enough to get a question wrong or possibly get it correct for the wrong reasons. Learning how to make mistakes and how to fail are also essential parts of this test.
    No matter which way people chose to participate in the community I can promise that you will get much in return!

• somedayillflyawaysomedayillflyaway Free Trial Member
    3 karma

Thanks for this.

• ary_in_a_rarri-1ary_in_a_rarri-1 Core Member
    33 karma

Argument is flawed because it confuses a condition sufficient for an event to occur with one necessary for it to occur

• Jonathan WangJonathan Wang Yearly Sage
    6866 karma

Nobody said that answering #help questions is either necessary or sufficient to get a good score. The claim was that it's monstrously helpful - which it is.

• somedayillflyawaysomedayillflyaway Free Trial Member
    3 karma

@ary_in_a_rarri said:
    Argument is flawed because it confuses a condition sufficient for an event to occur with one necessary for it to occur

lol wtf. Um... where did you get that from? Pretty sure those terms dont mean what you think they mean.

• ary_in_a_rarri-1ary_in_a_rarri-1 Core Member
    33 karma

@somedayillflyaway said:

lol wtf. Um... where did you get that from? Pretty sure those terms dont mean what you think they mean.

It was a joke bud. I played on the mechanistic approaches to logical diagraming. You must be fun at parties.