PT24.S2.Q12 - I need help with this

JusticeLawJusticeLaw Member
edited June 2021 in Logical Reasoning 194 karma

I need help with this.

First of all, the conclusion. There are no conclusion indicators and I was confused between 2 statements to select for the conclusion. Secondly, answer choice (A) and (C), aren't they basically both saying the same thing? When there are answer choices that similar (close) in meaning, how do you determine the correct answer? Furthermore, for generalization, is there a formula for selecting answer choices? It seems that whenever I select an answer choice (narrow or broad), the correct answer is always opposite of what I pick.

Thank you.

Admin note: edited title; please use the format of "PT#.S#.Q# - [brief description]"

Comments

• Granger DangerGranger Danger Alum Member
    717 karma

Hey, I'll try to help. I think this is a great question, by the way. You are right, this is a tricky main point question because to me, there are no conclusion indicators that help guide the way to the correct answer. It's okay though. There are other tools that can help you. When I'm stuck on a main conclusion question, it could be question one or question 25, it doesn't matter, I look for the author's tone and opinion. Does the author include any descriptive words that might show their position on the topic? What opinions does the author offer?

For this question, our author definitely has some opinions. Paraphrasing, the author says that even with sophisticated technology, scientists are not finding any evidence of extraterrestrial life. None at all. The author then says that there is no reason for why scientists will find extraterrestrial life in the future because science hasn't found extraterrestrial life before. So finding extraterrestrial life will remain a dream only.

Two phrases really jumped out to me. Because there is NO REASON for why scientists will find extraterrestrial life in the future, finding extraterrestrial life will remain A DREAM only.

These are strong claims with lots of tone and opinion. I tried them in two different ways. Finding the conclusion can often depend on the order of the premise to the conclusion. What makes sense to you? Because finding extraterrestrial life will remain a dream only, there is no reason for why scientists will find extraterrestrial life? No.

What about the other way? The premise of having no reason for why scientists will find extraterrestrial life in the future supports the idea that extraterrestrial life will remain a dream only.

This is also a great question because the LSAT is being tricky and mean, and the test writers did not give us this exact or even a close paraphrase in the answer choices. This is why tone is so important. When the LSAT tries to throw a curve ball and doesn't give you the perfect answer choice, you can be a flexible test taker and find the best answer anyway.

So, answers A and C. I think answers A and C are very different. Be careful here. High scorers usually can eventually see the difference between similar answer choices. This is a critical skill on the LSAT in my opinion. Answer A says something that the author never stated. What if there were no reasons to BELIEVE that life exists on other planets? Sure, lots of people could say that there is no reason to believe life exists on other planets, but I don't think the author is arguing for this claim. If you are still confused, take the final sentence of the stimulus out. Put AC A in. Does it make sense? Not really. This answer doesn't connect anything about FINDING extraterrestrial life.

I think AC C is better because it connects with the premise about that there is no reason for why scientists will find extraterrestrial life in the future. Because there is no reason for why scientists will find extraterrestrial life in the future, scientists probably won't find extraterrestrial life and finding extraterrestrial life will remain a dream only.

In summary: when you are confused on a main point question, look for the author's tone and opinion. This has helped me in the past. I hope this analysis helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

• JusticeLawJusticeLaw Member
    194 karma

Thank you so...... very much. This really helps.

• Granger DangerGranger Danger Alum Member
    717 karma

Excellent! You are very welcome.