Query failed: connection to 172.31.3.4:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Should I include a diversity statement when my PS addresses divsersity - 7Sage Forum

Should I include a diversity statement when my PS addresses divsersity

I wrote my PS about being gay in rural America, and how that makes me want to pursue public service (in a nutshell) Should I write a DS about how being gay from rural america has given me a perspective that would benefit my law school? I don't specific address perspective in my PS, just my experiences. Wondering if the DS will be too redundant. Thank you!

Comments

• clear227clear227 Core Member
    350 karma

No - unless your diversity statement is about some other type of diversity (race, religion, low income, etc).

Basically, make sure that the essays are different enough so that the adcomms don't say "wait, I thought I just read that one?"

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

Former admissions officer here. The personal statement is a required part of the law school application that shows your motivation for applying. The diversity statement is an optional essay that would provide additional context for the admissions committee about you as a candidate. The topics for the PS and DS should be distinct. The DS shouldn't read like a continuation of the PS as part of what the committee is evaluating is your ability to convey your story and narrative within a certain length of writing. The PS is typically 2 pages while the DS is typically 1 page. If you feel like you are able to tell your story and explain why you are hoping to begin your legal education at this point in time in your PS, you shouldn't feel like you need to write a DS. Hope that helps. Good luck!

• jackson34543jackson34543 Member
    6 karma

@"selene.steelman" said:
    Former admissions officer here. The personal statement is a required part of the law school application that shows your motivation for applying. The diversity statement is an optional essay that would provide additional context for the admissions committee about you as a candidate. The topics for the PS and DS should be distinct. The DS shouldn't read like a continuation of the PS as part of what the committee is evaluating is your ability to convey your story and narrative within a certain length of writing. The PS is typically 2 pages while the DS is typically 1 page. If you feel like you are able to tell your story and explain why you are hoping to begin your legal education at this point in time in your PS, you shouldn't feel like you need to write a DS. Hope that helps. Good luck!

Thank you so much! That makes a lot of sense.