Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Early Decision vs Applying Early

Could someone explain to me how early decision works exactly - i.e. do I have to designate an application as "early decision" or is any application submitted prior to a certain date (let's say November) automatically considered "early decision"?

I ask because I am planning to submit my application as early as possible - i.e. hopefully shortly after receiving my August LSAT score - but I don't necessarily want to apply "early decision" for all of the apps.

Also, how many "early decision" apps can I submit?

Thanks!!

Comments

• ishaw18ishaw18 Member
    edited June 2021 112 karma

Applying Early Decision can only be done once and for one school. When you apply this way, you are mandated to attend the school if they accept you. Either way, you should definitely apply as early as possible as your odds of acceptance are greater the earlier you apply, but I would only advise applying early decision/binding early decision to your dream school that you know you will go to if accepted.

• FindingSageFindingSage Alum Member
    2042 karma

Early decision and applying early are two different things. Most apps open about September. If you apply early and are accepted you still have the option to be accepted to other schools. When you apply early decision you can only apply to one school at a time this way and they MUST either accept you, deny you or move you move to regular decision before you can chose to apply early decision to another school. Some schools have early decision options relatively late ( like February or March) so it would be possible to apply early decision to one school and if that school either denies you or move you to regular decision than you could always apply to another school early decision.

But it is important to research the individual schools early decision program as they are typically binding meaning that if they accept you, you have to go because you have signed a binding contract. There are some schools where early decision is non biding but the majority of schools use early decision as binding. Part of your research should also include looking into how the school handles scholarship with early decision. Some schools have a set scholarship for people accepted through early decision, some schools let you know what the scholarship will be before you sign the binding contract and yet other schools you have to sign the contract before you know any financial information.

Early decision can be a good option for students who are applying to their dream school and know that is where they would absolutely go or also a good option for splitters who really need that extra boost of applying early and of schools knowing that they will make the commitment if accepted. But early decision is very advantageous for schools because students are essentially signing on the dotted line before being accepted. Do your research and ask questions before committing is the advice I would give you.

• 180energyonly180energyonly Member
    122 karma

@FindingSage said:
    Early decision and applying early are two different things. Most apps open about September. If you apply early and are accepted you still have the option to be accepted to other schools. When you apply early decision you can only apply to one school at a time this way and they MUST either accept you, deny you or move you move to regular decision before you can chose to apply early decision to another school. Some schools have early decision options relatively late ( like February or March) so it would be possible to apply early decision to one school and if that school either denies you or move you to regular decision than you could always apply to another school early decision.

But it is important to research the individual schools early decision program as they are typically binding meaning that if they accept you, you have to go because you have signed a binding contract. There are some schools where early decision is non biding but the majority of schools use early decision as binding. Part of your research should also include looking into how the school handles scholarship with early decision. Some schools have a set scholarship for people accepted through early decision, some schools let you know what the scholarship will be before you sign the binding contract and yet other schools you have to sign the contract before you know any financial information.

Early decision can be a good option for students who are applying to their dream school and know that is where they would absolutely go or also a good option for splitters who really need that extra boost of applying early and of schools knowing that they will make the commitment if accepted. But early decision is very advantageous for schools because students are essentially signing on the dotted line before being accepted. Do your research and ask questions before committing is the advice I would give you.

Thank you, very helpful! Where do I find the option to apply early decision? Is there a checkbox for it on the same application to the school in question via LSAC platform?

• 180energyonly180energyonly Member
    122 karma

@ishaw18 said:
    Applying Early Decision can only be done once and for one school. When you apply this way, you are mandated to attend the school if they accept you. Either way, you should definitely apply as early as possible as your odds of acceptance are greater the earlier you apply, but I would only advise applying early decision/binding early decision to your dream school that you know you will go to if accepted.

Thanks!!

• FindingSageFindingSage Alum Member
    2042 karma

When you apply for Law school you apply on the LSAC website and each application will ask you if you are applying regular admission or early decision. If you are choosing early decision and have read all the terms and conditions for that particular school you would go ahead and select the option there.

• prisonmikeprisonmike Member
    18 karma

The main con to early decision, in my opinion, is that it removes leverage if you're looking for scholarships. You would obviously need to figure out if you're in the "range"for a scholarship to that school.

If you are, then negotiating can be limited since the school already knows you have to go there no matter that. So they don't need to offer any "incentivizing" money to get you to sign.

• ishaw18ishaw18 Member
    112 karma

@prisonmike said:
    The main con to early decision, in my opinion, is that it removes leverage if you're looking for scholarships. You would obviously need to figure out if you're in the "range"for a scholarship to that school.

If you are, then negotiating can be limited since the school already knows you have to go there no matter that. So they don't need to offer any "incentivizing" money to get you to sign.

Great point, but depending on the school, some actually offer a substantial guaranteed scholarship for early decision applicants (I've seen some up to 75k). This is of course, a case by case situation..