Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Using a Desktop and Other First Timer Questions

in General 67 karma

Hi all - I'm taking the LSAT in August and it's my first time doing so. As such, I have a few logistics questions for those who know/have taken the FLEX recently.

1) Can you take the exam on a desktop? LSAC website says yes, but the Writing Sample Video (and presumably the actual exam) suggest that we're supposed to show our work environment, including floor, etc. Has anyone encountered this issue using a desktop?

2) Can you use scratch paper on RC/LR? Obviously we use them for LG, but has anyone been called out by a proctor for writing out, say, lawgic for a complicated LR question?

3) Any other tips for first-timers re: technology, proctoring, logistics? Hoping to keep stressors like these to a minimum on actual test day.

Thank you!!

Comments

• LSAT LizardLSAT Lizard Alum Member
    331 karma

Definitely read the official 'getting ready for the flex' page here: https://www.lsac.org/lsat/taking-lsat/getting-ready-your-lsat-flex-exam

1) You can take it on a desktop. To show the rest of the room, you'll need a mirror, a cell phone, or a webcam that isn't attached to the monitor. Using your cell phone as a mirror sounds weird but LSAC specifically says this is allowed on the page I linked.

2) You can definitely use scratch paper on the RC/LR. You get five sheets but it doesn't matter when you use them.

3) Something not included on the page I linked, proctor u can be very slow to get you started. It is perfectly normal for you not to start your test until an entire hour after your actual 'test start time.' You have to wait for the proctor to load in, they do some technical checks, you have to download some software, you have to show them the room and your ID, you have to read an oath out loud (not kidding), etc.

• 67 karma

Thanks so much, Tennysoj! I really appreciate the tips, especially regarding Proctor U. I downloaded the software and realized that my RAM was almost at max capacity, so that was really helpful to know ahead of time. Thanks again, and best wishes!

• Learned AstronomerLearned Astronomer Free Trial Member
    145 karma

(1) Not sure. Maybe others can share their experiences.

(2) Yes. Five sheets. Can use them for any of the sections.

(3) As far as I know, you're allowed to use Control + F to search for things in RC! I'd suggest testing your computer on the ProctorU website to see if it meets the system requirements before taking the test.

• PROMISED LANDPROMISED LAND Member
    edited July 2021 340 karma

@practiceinordertopractice where do we find the software to download to check RAM capacity?
    I'm a first time test taker too!