Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Flip of a Switch" Moment/Advice

firstgen.lawtinafirstgen.lawtina Core Member
in General 16 karma

What was that "flip of a switch" moment or piece of advice that dramatically changed your perspective of the LSAT or of how you go about your LSAT study?

Comments

• Cynthia-2Cynthia-2 Member
    edited July 2021 498 karma

"live like no one else, so that later you can give and live like no one else"

completely motivated me, keep going, you got this

• love2learnlove2learn Free Trial Member
    edited July 2021 252 karma

recognizing syllogism patterns in LR. I highly recommend getting a logic book (something a college class in logic would use, not something trivial without substance), you'll have lots of lightbulb moments

LR will suddenly jump out as more cookie cutter in its forms

• overthistestoverthistest Member
    166 karma

@love2learn said:
    recognizing syllogism patterns in LR. I highly recommend getting a logic book (something a college class in logic would use, not something trivial without substance), you'll have lots of lightbulb moments

can you suggest any good books?

• catbellycatbelly Core Member
    edited July 2021 191 karma

it's good to know the things that courses and textbooks tell you (different types of question stems, flaws, assumptions, etc.) but when you finally realize that soooooo much of the LSAT is just really similar logical flaws and assumptions stated differently, you will better understand the test. it took me a while to realize that so many questions across all sections were basically asking for things that must be true (even though the question stem asks for an NA, Inference, flaw, etc.).

• Lucas CarterLucas Carter Alum Member
    2798 karma

@overthistest said:

@love2learn said:

can you suggest any good books?

https://www.amazon.com/A-Rulebook-for-Arguments/dp/B092YFYGD2/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=arguments+book&qid=1625770073&sr=8-2

• love2learnlove2learn Free Trial Member
    edited July 2021 252 karma

@overthistest look at your school's bookstore recommendation for their logic courses; my school used one by Brooke Moore (Critical Thinking), but it was on critical thinking versus an intro to logic (and I felt like it was written for high schoolers ... ). I like Copi's Intro to Logic, personally. Others that are short are not intensive with logic as much as general grammar bits. Ruggero Aldisert Logic for Lawyers is out-of-print, but libraries might have a copy. It looks at formal logic structures as applied to court opinions. In combination with an 'intro' book, it is helpful and relevant. But the logic course intro books are more in-depth and informative. They're the light-bulb moments.

• yunonsieyunonsie Member
    611 karma

Ah after 1+ years of studying and months of frustration, I live for these lightbulb moments. “Harder I work, luckier I get.” I don’t live my this mantra, but I see it apply so clearly to my experience with the LSAT. The more of this test I truly understand, the more lightbulb moments I have.

• 103 karma

"Those who fall will be forgotten, but those who rise up, their names will be remembered forever" This quote motivates me when i'm feeling down. Its from the Doomfist Overwatch Short Film. Also mastery of logic games translated into LR really well. I put a lot of emphasis on LG and saw a dramatic improvement in LR.