Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LSAT sections

ledkarlyledkarly Member
in General 483 karma

This might be a really dumb question but I'm really confused. Since August is 4 sections - are they all scored, or only 3? And if so, then its out of 75 and not 101 (roughly), but how do we get our score? Should I be doing "simulate flex" or just keep doing all 4?

Thanks!

Comments

• LSAT LizardLSAT Lizard Alum Member
    edited July 2021 331 karma

Four sections, but only three of them are scored.

The fourth section is the "Experimental Section" and has no impact on your score whatsoever. It could be LR, LG, or RC and has an equal chance of being each; there's no way to tell when you take the test which one is experimental.

You might want to start taking four-section preptests to practice the extra length. To get your score at the end, take the number you got wrong from each of the three sections you want to count and put them into the LSAT Flex Score Converter along with the preptest number.

If you do it that way, all your practice tests will have two LR sections, so it's not a perfect simulation of having an experimental section. But the only way to get spare RC or LG sections as practice experimental sections would be to take them from other preptests. If you do want to do that, you'd have to put the preptest together yourself as a problem set.

• JustaKidJustaKid Member
    114 karma

Hey, Ledlarky!

The August test is 3 scored sections and an experimental section which will not count towards your score. That means 75/76 (I believe, I'm not sure) questions as opposed to the 100/101. The scoring is rather complicated but I believe JY talks about it in one of the lessons and if not a simple google search should help you out. It has to do with difficulty of the test and some scale LSAC has pre-determined to grade the test on.

As for what you should be doing, it is up to you. I think for endurance sake you may want to just run normal PT's as they are on the site. 2 LR 1 LG and 1 RC or you can simulate a flex and add your own experimental sections. The point is we don't know which of the four sections you take are going to be scored. If you consistently practice a flex then you are training for a 3 section test and neglecting the mental endurance aspect. Maybe on test day your mental stamina will run out after your third section and when you enter your fourth section you have a hard time concentrating and your score can take a hit (assuming you don't perform as well as you normally do and it's one of the sections that count towards your grade.) The idea is to leave as little to chance. If you are able to master concentration and focus for four timed sections then you reduce the chances of having a lower score due to burn-out.