Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it appropriate to think that we are to go on a war with the LSAT?

Webby_SongdoWebby_Songdo Alum Member
in General 677 karma

My golf coach always advised me not to see the game of golf as a war but rather a game. However, that is golf. Is it appropriate to conceive this LSAT journey as an act of going on an all-out war against the LSAT? How do you see yourself against this test, whether we want to call it a behemoth, beast, monster, etc. I am sure this test isn't just a piece of cake despite the fact that it is still just a bunch of papers stapled together.

Comments

• Cynthia-2Cynthia-2 Member
    498 karma

the way I see it is, this is common sense stuff and I have common sense so I don't give up until I get it . I DO whatever it is to make sure that I get where I need to get , this test can't beat me period .

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    edited July 2021 8313 karma

I'd say that depends on how you would fight a war. I think its a valid way to conceptualize it... see my site name parabellumLSAT. ;)

• WoodsCommaElleWoodsCommaElle Live Member
    399 karma

Sometimes when I go through LR, it feels like I'm going bird-watching in an intellectual forest of sorts :) It reminds me to be aware of the subtleties and tbh makes the LSAT more fun

• timk215555timk215555 Member
    4 karma

Hey, valuequietness
    I discourage the "war mindset" because I tried it myself and found a different mindset much better: instead of thinking the LSAT is this beast/enemy to defeat, I approach it as positively as I can. Makes studying a much better experience when I think positively about the test. Do what motivates you, though. This is only my experience.

• McBeck418McBeck418 Member
    500 karma

If that's the mindset that keeps you motivated and helps you remain diligent and persistent in your studies, then I think that's a perfectly valid way to see this test. You just have to listen to what makes sense for you and adapt if necessary.

Personally, I try to think of the LSAT as more of a close friend whose issues I'm listening to and trying to understand than an enemy/antagonist I have to defeat. For me, being constantly on the attack fed into trying to prove myself and it became a zero-sum game. The more I struggled and the more I lost, the more anxious and discouraged I felt. I find treating the test in a less adversarial way helps me to be a more calm and flexible test taker, which has helped.

But again, each of us is different and we work better under different circumstances, so see what helps you the most and go with it.