Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can anyone advise me on whether I should go through the CC in order?

Webby_SongdoWebby_Songdo Alum Member
in General 677 karma

We had another discussion post in which 7Sagers said that we are not supposed to do all problem sets within a section in order but rather jump back and forth as we progress through the CC. I am confused because JY did not create an instruction on how to go through the CC. What I have been doing was just go through the CC in order, and I am almost done with the LR part and am about to move on to the LG part. My original plan was to do the entire CC in order and then do the PTs. I was advised to take the timed test, blind review, watch explanation videos, write up wrong question notes, and drill. I was also told to listen to the podcasts. Can anyone tell me if this plan is incorrect? What should I do?

PS: I read older posts about this question, and people are giving different answers. People replied in the older posts to do them in order, or "sequentially."

Comments

• claremontclaremont Core Member
    590 karma

I think the course was designed to be completed in the order it was laid out, however, JY has explicitly said he didn't intend for students to do every problem set per section as they progressed. The idea being you have material to come back to drill.

There isn't one path to success, besides, the path you're on has successfully been trod before. best of luck.

• jespi074jespi074 Core Member
    5 karma

Do the core curriculum in order and do as many sets as possible. It will help you understand argument structure.

• WoodsCommaElleWoodsCommaElle Live Member
    399 karma

Think of it as a cost-benefit analysis. By all means do as many psets as possible, but do that until you understand what it is you need to learn, until you fully understand the concepts. If you keep going beyond that, not only would you run out of materials for question-type drilling later (assuming you want to save PTs 35 -60 ish for section drilling), you also would not be spending your time efficiently since there's little marginal benefit to be gained.

Another way to think about it is to ask: why the CC was laid out this way when it's possible to study for all three sections concurrently?

Why start with LR/Follow up LR with LG? It introduces LSAT students to conditional logic in a medium that's relatively familiar and easier to process (honestly, would 10/10 rather understand sufficiency-necessity confusion using examples provided in LR than in LG, and as a result set a good foundation for logic games later on). However, once you've finished the Advanced Logic lessons and have a solid foundation on conditional logic, there's no reason why it would be detrimental to start on LG (while also doing LR concurrently) when you've already got what you need from LR to progress to LG. If anything, it will help you reinforce your understanding of both sections.

Why end with RC? Compared to LR and LG (and LG especially), RC is an area where you don't see gains as quickly. This isn't to say that you cannot improve, but it's relatively harder to do so, thus it just makes more sense to dedicate your energy to the low hanging fruit first.

Speaking from personal experience, if I could do it all over again, I would've started the LG section after having done the advanced logic lessons in LR (and study LG and LR concurrently). I don't regret going through the CC in a strict fashion (there's a difference between going through the CC in order and strictly going through the CC in order), but I do realize that it wasn't the most optimal use of my time in hindsight.

The first challenging decision you'll have to make re: prep is how to go through the CC. The second is deciding when you're finished with the CC. Good luck.