Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a RC study partner...or tutor

Ashley2018-1Ashley2018-1 Live Member
edited July 2021 in Reading Comprehension 2249 karma

This post is two-fold: I am looking for both a RC study partner and a tutor. The reason I am looking for both is ideally, I'd like a good study partner because I've found that studying with a person with a real stake in this exam is just different from studying with someone who is already finished but I am also trying to be realistic because it's exceedingly difficult to find someone who is both compatible and willing to meet up on a regular basis.

My requirements are: if you are a tutor, you must be charging a reasonable rate, the tutor (or study partner) must have taken the LSAT before or be scoring 170+ on your practice exams, must be able to not only explain why correct answer is correct but why the other four are wrong, must be willing to go over the passages line-by-line. NO manhattan prep or powerscore, lsathacks, or other online explanations during the session.

And of course, I expect basic honesty about your capabilities, whether you be a tutor or a potential study partner.

I am currently getting on average -4 to -5 on RC and I need to cut that in half. Please be understanding of my request and read it all before messaging me. This is not my first time looking for a tutor/study partner and I've had my share of crappy experiences. I need someone compatible with my needs and who has a real stake in this exam so we can hopefully work to pull each other up. I can understand if you're scoring -1 or -2 that you might be a bit averse to studying with someone scoring lower than yourself but explaining your thought process to someone might help you further master the material and I've heard from several that I ask really good questions so that might get you to think about the passages differently, which could make all the difference in the world.

Message me privately

Comments

• Theo - Student ServiceTheo - Student Service Member Moderator Student Services
    848 karma

Hi @Ashley2018,

7Sage does not offer private tutoring. However, we do have a list of approved private tutors here: https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/comment/68763

This is our required disclaimer: Please note that 7Sage takes no responsibility for anything that happens during these tutor sessions. We are unaffiliated with these tutors, and do not receive any commissions or kickbacks from them. We are not vouching for them in any way other than we expect they would make good tutors. To become a tutor, you must be either a ⭐️ member or a Sage and be approved by 7Sage staff.

Let us know if you have any questions!

• Cynthia-2Cynthia-2 Member
    498 karma

Of all the sections I feel like RC is the one that would benefit from a tutor the least. I began with -18 in May and I am now at -2/-3. I felt the same way as you did until I started printing two passages a day and really analyzing them, after that I just started to get them right. FOR ME at least that's what has worked best, familiarizing myself with passages daily. GL

• Ashley2018-1Ashley2018-1 Live Member
    edited July 2021 2249 karma

@"Cynthia-2" said:
    Of all the sections I feel like RC is the one that would benefit from a tutor the least. I began with -18 in May and I am now at -2/-3. I felt the same way as you did until I started printing two passages a day and really analyzing them, after that I just started to get them right. FOR ME at least that's what has worked best, familiarizing myself with passages daily. GL

Well, I was at -13 to -14 for like two years until I had a tutor that helped me get it down to -4 and -5. I've been stuck there for the last few months and it isn't going down. It's hard reviewing when you have questions and no one to answer them. The forum helps, but it can't do everything I need it to. I don't want to fork out the money for a tutor, but I just don't have the type of mind that can resolve my own issues. I need someone to talk it out with me.

• 108 karma

wow this is impressive.. you've been studying for 2 years ! Im currently doing terrible on the RC but reading that youve been going at it for 2 years is inspiring me to not give up hehe...

i hope you find what you are looking for !

@"Praying for a T-14" said:
    wow this is impressive.. you've been studying for 2 years ! Im currently doing terrible on the RC but reading that youve been going at it for 2 years is inspiring me to not give up hehe...

It's more like on and off for three years. Just finding the right study strategy took me two years. And even now I am not certain it will pay off.

• 108 karma

if you dont mind me asking what is your srategy? Im trying to find a good one for me as nothing seems to be working.. Im currently getting over 10 wrong just like how you started :/

if you dont mind me asking what is your srategy? Im trying to find a good one for me as nothing seems to be working.. Im currently getting over 10 wrong just like how you started :/

I stopped taking timed exams and am BR'ing every question I am unsure about or got incorrect. At your stage of study, I do not recommend getting a tutor because it can become an expensive crutch. The tutor obviously understands everything (ideally) and can explain it but if you rely on the tutor, you will be able to solve the specific questions but not understand the concepts. LSAT books don't do jack squat imo and I've been through other courses and they are rushed to hell. 2 1/2 months imo is not nearly enough time unless you're one of those people who start off with diagnostics of like 160+. And I'd also post on the forum, but instead of just asking: why is answer choice X wrong and answer choice Y correct, try breaking down the stimulus yourself and asking whether you got the stuff correct. And this will take time because some of the responses you will get won't help, quite frankly. It takes persistence and I guess a bit of luck to get a good, comprehensive answer on the forum.

I also strongly recommend against joining the larger study groups you see in the feed. Like 95% of the time, I swear nobody responds after commenting "they're interested!" in the initial post lol. And it's not even about the first session but about who is willing to come back.

• 108 karma

Thank you this is great advice !! If you don't mind me asking, what courses did you take? I was considering taking one soon, but im not quite sure, and would like an opinion on the course you did take just in case that was the one i was gonna go into lol..

• shinxxxxxshinxxxxx Member
    33 karma

Read hard books in your free time! The thing that helped me the most in RC was really just learning to focus completely. Every question has its roots in the passage so you just need to be able to focus and read quickly.

• Mango_gogogoMango_gogogo Member
    77 karma

@"Cynthia-2" said:

My LR went from -15 to now -5, my LF went from -10 to now -1, but my RC remains at -15 fortwo months. I really don't know what to do. Lots of ppl are saying once LR gets improved, RC would automatically get better. But in my case, i did not feel so. I am thinking if I am stupid or dumb. This is very very frustrating.

• Mango_gogogoMango_gogogo Member
    77 karma

@"Cynthia-2" said:

Also, I agree with what you said. RC is actually a section requires understanding, it's an ability needs lots of practice and time to drill instead of a learning trick or a shortcut. What tutors can teach is based on their mastery understanding of the whole passage, no matter how descriptive or straight-forwarded explanation they tutor, it will not improve our understanding ability. I know lots of ppl stressed that looking on the big pic is the key for RC but I think many test takers do not even understand what the passage was talking about. If we are unable to understand the passage, there's no way for us to focus on the big picture.

I struggled a lot on RC and I have been feeling disappointed. I'm not sure whether I am able to find an appropriate RC strategy.

English is my second language.