Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

About a study buddy tool. Is it just I or there is someone who has the same experience

ConstantineConstantine Member
edited July 2021 in Study Groups 1320 karma

I am relatively new to the US, and in my life out of the US never had such an experience. I've been using a study buddy thing on 7sage since the last October. But the fact that one person out of 5-7 doesn't show up bathers me. A typical case looks like this: a person adds me on the tool, offers a PT or sections, sets up a time (via zoom, one-on-one), doesn't show up, and doesn't say a word afterward. Is it a cultural norm?

Is there someone who has the same experience?
  1. Do you have same experience16 votes
    1. Yes
      75.00%
    2. No
      25.00%

Comments

• dawgslaw123dawgslaw123 Alum Member
    138 karma

Don't take it too personally

• hopefullinghopefulling Member
    edited July 2021 905 karma

I always thought it was an age-thing and a lack of maturity sticking to commitments or with interactions with others. I was always surprised by the 'crickets' in Discord groups up until the last few weeks before the test. I guess it's just makes it even harder to find the best fit, not only in score range and knowledge, but also in commitment and willingness to put in the effort.

Good luck! It's horrible when you have the English hurdle on top of it all and you're trying to really master the material, only to have others act as unintentional barriers by not following through.

• Ashley2018-1Ashley2018-1 Live Member
    edited July 2021 2249 karma

I often don't even get to the stage where an appointment is made lol. That's why I no longer partake in mass study groups. And I don't think it's a cultural thing. I think it's just people being people.

• ConstantineConstantine Member
    1320 karma

@hopefulling said:
    I always thought it was an age-thing and a lack of maturity sticking to commitments or with interactions with others. I was always surprised by the 'crickets' in Discord groups up until the last few weeks before the test. I guess it's just makes it even harder to find the best fit, not only in score range and knowledge, but also in commitment and willingness to put in the effort.

Good luck! It's horrible when you have the English hurdle on top of it all and you're trying to really master the material, only to have others act as unintentional barriers by not following through.

Thank you so much!

• Jonathan WangJonathan Wang Yearly Sage
    6866 karma

Yeah, don't take it personally. People do this to paid tutors, too. It's why every experienced tutor has a no-show policy and at least one absurd story to tell.

• yang9999yang9999 Core Member
    419 karma

also, group size matters -- if you start to get too big (past about 3-4 people), it will become almost impossible to sustain focused study for long term periods.

1320 karma

@"Jonathan Wang" said:
    Yeah, don't take it personally. People do this to paid tutors, too. It's why every experienced tutor has a no-show policy and at least one absurd story to tell.

:smile:

1320 karma

@yang9999 said:
    also, group size matters -- if you start to get too big (past about 3-4 people), it will become almost impossible to sustain focused study for long term periods.

I'm talking about one on one sessions.

• FindingSageFindingSage Alum Member
    edited July 2021 2042 karma

It has been awhile since I scheduled one on one but I had the same experience with trying to join study groups. When someone creates a post you see many people expressing interest but few of those people actually show up for a study session and even fewer actually show up for multiple ones. One of the first groups I was in had maybe 10 people show up out of close to 50. By the time week 3 rolled around there were seriously three people- that was it. The second study group I joined ended up growing to 150 and same thing hardly anyone would show up. But then one of the people I studied with and had an idea for a daily group and the first 6 months plus of the pandemic there was about 10 of us that studied together twice a day. You missed three session worst hour a good reason and you were removed from the group. People wanted to join but we ended up keeping the group small because again same experience- people committed to coming and then never showed up and never said a word or other times people showed up and they had clearly already looked up the answers. Long story short- it is difficult to find reliable and consistent people to study with but I will say it is worth it when you finally meet the right people. I have studied with some of the same people for more than a year now.

• Older_LS_Applicant85Older_LS_Applicant85 Core Member
    162 karma

Don't dwell on it too much, happens all the time. Some ppl talk a lot about studying together and joining you on a journey to reach a high LSAT score and when you text/call them to start organizing study sessions, they respond a few times and then you never hear back from them. Forget about them and focus on your own journey and study plan.

• Jordan JohnsonJordan Johnson Member
    686 karma

@Constantine. Hey man! Hit me up when you get the chance. Would love to catch up.