Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice to 7Sagers from a Former 7Sager

LSAT Learner-1LSAT Learner-1 Alum Member
edited July 2021 in General 46 karma

Dear 7Sagers,

I had the Ultimate+ membership and I applied to law school during the 2020-2021 cycle. Like many of you, I lived and breathed 7Sage, and I devoted so much of my free time to mastering the LSAT. I read the message boards, took the practice tests, and interacted with the community. I remember reading posts from people who complained that they couldn't get past the 165 or the 171 marks, and I always rolled my eyes but secretly, I was worried. These posts made me feel stupid. I felt as if I was doing something wrong because I was struggling to break the 150 mark. Also, I felt at a disadvantage being first-generation because everything was new to me. No one in my family was familiar with the law school process but thankfully, I knew some attorneys, through work, who gave me phenomenal advice.

Eventually, I realized I had to do what was best for me and not worry about other’s success, which was easier said than done. At the end of the day, as long as I knew I did everything in my power to excel, then I could not be truly upset with myself. From November 2020 until now, I’ve learned so much about the admissions process and I want to share it with others but, I know no one either law school-bound or contemplating it.

Given this, I decided to document my experiences and advice (see the link below) to those who may benefit from it. In all, it’s a decent read but it’s amazing. I’m biased towards myself so take it with a grain of salt.

If anyone has any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me. Considering I no longer use or check my 7Sage account, I’ll do to the best of my abilities to respond.

Happy reading and I wish you the best of luck on this journey! Also, thanks for taking the time to read this post.

Sincerely,

LSAT Learner-1

Link to My Advice: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YlAzPCkWon7wPKgUK7Dcwcm12nWNZ6bA/view?usp=sharing

Comments

• I read it! thank you for sharing!!

• Confidence150Confidence150 Alum Member
    1417 karma

Thanks for sharing! Appreciate it

• joannamendoza6joannamendoza6 Core Member
    90 karma

Thank you for sharing! I scored a 147 on my first try so your story really hit home. I unfortunately have a very low UGPA so I do have to retake. Thank you for the tips! Do you have contact info. you are willing to share?

• figsandcheesefigsandcheese Alum Member
    31 karma

This is awesome and you're awesome! Thank you so much for sharing.

• therein.s.heretherein.s.here Free Trial Member
    32 karma

Thanks for sharing!!!! I am struggling at the 150s :((( My concentration span is SOOOOOO short.

• JakeB993JakeB993 Member
    8 karma

This is great advice! I wholeheartedly agree with the notion of not holding yourself to other people's standards. 171 might be cruddy for someone who took a year off to prep for the LSAT, who aspires to go to one of the top 5 schools or get a free ride through scholarships. To some people, a 171 might come completely naturally, and the test just made more sense to them. Perhaps those people do a lot of adjacent activities that build the same kind of skills needed to tackle this test? I've been scoring a 150-153 consistently from my diagnostic over the 2 months of part-time studying I've been able to invest. I can't tell you how demoralizing it's been to see people constantly gloating that they're consistently hitting 175-180 on PTs. I'm aiming for a 160, which has been difficult because I'm still investing most of my efforts and time into my undergraduate degree and maintaining a part-time job. Someone may have more external obligations to this test, like a full-time job and family to attend to. The point is that everybody's circumstances are different, and this test should be subjective to your goals. I'm not trying to go to Yale or Harvard, so a 170, while it would be nice, is frankly overkill. And to those who put that pressure on themselves to attain the consistent 170+, realize that stressing about it and drilling 6+ hours of BR everyday is probably not going to get you there. I've only hit improvements to my score when I approach them well-rested, fresh, and with my own subjective goals in mind - any improvement, however marginal, is cause to be proud of yourself. Getting frustrated that you're hitting 160 and NEED to hit 170+ will detrimentally affect your ability to approach this test, since setting such stringent expectations will only serve to frustrate you and cause you to make careless errors.

If it's any consolation to anyone else, my attorney friend and mentor, as well as many other attorneys I have spoken to on this matter, gave me some great advice that I found to be encouraging and relieving; a T14 school doesn't necessitate a great attorney. Neither will getting a 180 on the LSAT. What matters is your motivation to do the best you can muster on this test, try your absolute hardest in law school, and want it more than those who might've had an easier time with the overall process in getting to the goal line.

• I am FrozenI am Frozen Core Member
    16 karma

Great read! Congratulations for taking control of the process, and thank you for writing such an informative summation.