PT13.S3.Q4: Bird brain

Ashley2018-1Ashley2018-1 Live Member
edited July 2021 in Reading Comprehension 2249 karma

I don't understand why D is incorrect. So we are trying to explain why these canaries go through this yearly process of losing their neurons and then replacing them with new ones and the author claims that it's so that these canary brains don't get so huge that they can't fly so doesn't D provide a scenario where these canaries don't need to go through this process and can still fly due to "better developed muscles?"

And does this whole neuron regenerating process apply to all canaries or only some of them?

https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-13-section-3-passage-1-questions/

Comments

• ToolinshedToolinshed Core Member
    42 karma

Let's say there is a hypothetical max brain size 15g for a canary. With this brain size comes increased repertoire of songs and more muscles to carry the birds increased weight. Would this go against what the other says? Do they still lose their song selection in the fall? This size is just variance between individual birds.

• Ashley2018-1Ashley2018-1 Live Member
    2249 karma

@Toolinshed said:
    Let's say there is a hypothetical max brain size 15g for a canary. With this brain size comes increased repertoire of songs and more muscles to carry the birds increased weight. Would this go against what the other says? Do they still lose their song selection in the fall? This size is just variance between individual birds.

I don't know...do these hypothetical canaries still go through that neuron-replacement thing?

42 karma

Would be safe to say they do. I believe the author is talking about canaries in general.

• Ashley2018-1Ashley2018-1 Live Member
    edited July 2021 2249 karma

@Toolinshed said:
    Would be safe to say they do. I believe the author is talking about canaries in general.

@Toolinshed said:

Ok...so d doesn't weaken because it doesn't provide a possible alternative explanation as to why these canaries go through this neuron loss and regeneration?

edited July 2021 42 karma

Maybe I could've worded it better. I'll try my best to rephrase it. It doesn't weaken because, nothing the question states is inconsistent with what they already said. If anything it strengthens the authors point.

Author already says that the bigger your brain the more weight you have to carry. More weight also means stronger muscles are needed.

Individual canaries are allowed to have variance in their brain size, which means they need more/less muscle to carry those brains, but-- still be within the range that makes sense for a canary.