Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Losing motivation, full time job, gym, right career path?

cassiezbylutcassiezbylut Core Member
in General 50 karma

Hello all,

Going to spill a lot of feelings here so please refrain from any judgmental comments. I last took my LSAT in Feb and got a 145, I took about two months off after that, and started studying 3-4 nights a week, 1-2 hours at a time until mid June, it is the end of July now and I just took about 1 week off because I was honestly getting burnt tf out. I decided to study by section, so I’m just finishing up my Logical Reasoning but my most recent and best so far is -10 which is still bad. I have yet to fully study games and RC since I plan to take my exam again in October and want it to be my last. I need a 150 to get into my school so it can’t be too hard right?

Well it’s tough, I am drained by the time I come home at 5 PM, I go train in the gym for an hour or two, still have to cook, study, and I want to be in bed by 10 every night. I’m using 7Sage alone and have tried bibles, LSAT trainer and not really fond of them. I’ve been on here before seeing how I can improve my comprehension and understanding but I’m still getting -10 on LR by itself, and it is super, super discouraging. I’ve also contemplated on if this career is right for me, as I am scared to get into something that will put me into a lot of debt, possibly a lot of stress, and something that I could regret. I have a reason to get into law, as I have a personal connection with knowing how hard it can be for those who cannot advocate for themselves, and that is where I want to help, plus the idea of law just really fascinates me. So I’m curious, what do you all do when you’re in this state of mind of “Can I do this?” “Is this career going to be the one for me?” I am 22 years old and done with my undergrad already so I’m just trying to get on with the next step of my life. I know it is truly possible to get an increase in score but I’m not sure if it’s something to do with me since I have tried multiple study programs and still not making that much improvement, like I’m un-teachable or something. To end this rant, I was wondering if any of you had any true, raw advice for someone like me who is questioning everything and feeing doubtful about improving my score. I’m prepared to hear some honest truth here.

Thanks!

Comments

• pappasm91pappasm91 Member
    230 karma

Hello!

First off, thank you for being vulnerable about where you are at. I know it can be hard to do so in an open forum. There are many topics you addressed in your message, so I'll do my best to share from my perspective.

As many people have noted before, at its core this test is designed to expose your weaknesses if you aren't solid in the fundamentals. This isn't like the SAT or ACT where you can get a feel of the stimuli and hopefully get lucky on your answer choices by guessing. I personally struggle with the idea of failure and not doing well after putting blood, sweat and tears into anything I do, and this test is a stark wake-up call. My boyfriend had somewhat serious conversations with me asking if this is truly what I wanted after 2 separate breakdowns where I was getting frustrated that I wasn't comprehending the material and consistently bombing LR. I felt in those moments that I wasn't smart enough, and that there was no way I was going to be able to be a successful attorney if I couldn't even comprehend NA or method of reasoning questions. FULL STOP. Sounds ridiculous, right? Because it is. Just like organic chemistry is used as a course to wean out people not ready or realistic about pursuing science degrees, this test has the same study pattern in that you really have to devote time and effort into mastering it, but you ABSOLUTELY can. I started off with the LSAT Trainer and felt similar to you in that I wasn't feeling prepared, but after going through the entire 7Sage CC and going back to the LSAT Trainer as a method of reviewing question types, I was starting to get all practice questions correct in the book. There isn't a secret key to success or gimmick to mastering this test that everyone hopes to discover. It's truly about drilling questions to the point where you can knock them out in your sleep, and blind review!

I'm 29 and work in nonprofit full-time as a fundraiser as well as volunteer on a local board of directors as a treasurer. I totally empathize with time constraints and getting burnt out. For me, I had to switch my schedule to a morning routine in that I get up at 5:45am, make my coffee and allow myself to wake up, spend 1.5 to 2 hours studying, and then go into work. Then on the weekends spend time either PT/blind review or drilling problem areas. Before I was doing a similar study schedule of coming home after work, tired, and studying for hours and not retaining any information. Be honest with yourself, if you are tired or not 100% devoted to your studying, you are not going to comprehend nor absorb any information.

Also, if you have gone through the CC and things are still a challenge for you, hire a tutor. I did the same and that made all the difference for me (136 diagnostic to a 155 on June Flex). My tutor had me PTing in the 159-161 range before the June test.

Now for the brutally honest piece of advice: if you are getting to the point of doubting yourself consistently and half-ass studying because you aren't truly invested, then really assess why you are doing this. Don't go to law school with the expectation that it's just a distinguished title or designation to add to the end of your name. Everyone has had a moment of burnout, and if they say they haven't they are either lying or not human, but only you can judge yourself! Just remember, you have time to go to law school as there is no rush to do so now, and don't force your timeline to match the LSAT. Instead, study and hit scores in the range of where you want to be and then sign up. Your overall stress and attitude will improve when you let your abilities dictate your success, not the timeline of the test!

I hope this is helpful, and remember that you can absolutely do this!

• Glutton for the LSATGlutton for the LSAT Alum Member
    551 karma

Hi @cassiezbylut,

Thanks for sharing your story and letting some of us know about some of these heavy feelings! The test is not easy for most people, and some of it is downright hard. It makes a lot of sense that adding in your other professional responsibilities might make you feel burned out at times.

I'd like to just start off by saying that there is absolutely no rush in going to law school, and having everything done by a certain age. I sort of take a Nathan Fox stance to law school: If you put a timeline on yourself to go to law school by a certain age, you're undercutting what could be your full potential. Taking a year or two off to work, or even more, is a perfectly fine option. Keep in mind that some people study for this test for an upwards of around a year or more. I know people who have committed to this test for three years!

Patience is absolutely key. To give some context, some people have even applied to law school at ages 30+ years, simply because they got a job and also wanted to spend as much time as possible to attain their goal LSAT score. As one law student and 178 scorer said, "Patience looks professional." Law schools are definitely not turned off by your age, and you could add so much more to your resume if you do decide to wait.

What's important is to keep a strong support network. You can do this on some forums or by going to some study groups online or in person. It helps to connect with people who share your struggles as a professional and LSAT student. What has helped me a lot is listening to podcasts on the LSAT, especially when a high scorer is interviewed. 7Sage, Thinking LSAT, and Steve Schwartz's podcasts are very inspirational and you really see how some students turned their struggle into a triumph.

Best of luck in your journey!

• cassiezbylutcassiezbylut Core Member
    50 karma

@pappasm91 Thank you SO MUCH!! I am the type of person who thinks that I can cut corners and immediately catch up with the rest of the flock, as I have been doing in my studies and any sports I've done growing up, and it has always worked for me because I am a "fast learner". Well, I have realized with the LSAT, cutting corners DOES NOT EXIST. Maybe, someone who is superman/superwoman can achieve a 30 point jump by studying for 1 month, but that would be something out of this world. I have picked here and there of the sections in the CC, and I planned on taking the August exam, then contemplated October, and now thinking November. Even though I have enough basis on the very very basics already, I think I am going to start at square one and really just dive into the CC. It just scared me because when I inputted my preferred test date, the system told me that it was a very bad idea saying something like "You will have to study for 14 hours a day for the next 3 months to finish the curriculum" which is why I never even started that in the first place. Updates to come, thank you for your real, raw advice.

50 karma

@"Glutton for the LSAT" I appreciate your insight so much. I will most definitely look into these support groups, as my peers can't even begin to relate to my struggles! Timing is a big thing for me and I felt so rushed to be able to work and work and to save as much money as I possibly could before even thinking about applying to Law School that I couldn't even come up for air as far as actually taking a moment to study in depth of this test. You have made me feel 110% better, as well as the other responses I've received on this discussion. I will keep in mind that my timeline is no one else's. I'm going to listen to some of those podcasts you recommended tonight. Thank you again!

• edited July 2021 54 karma

Keep Going We Got This!

• marissa_23marissa_23 Core Member
    9 karma

I don't know what your financial situation is, but I was going through exactly what you were going through. I hired a tutor. Private tutoring is costly but very beneficial. All of my sessions were conducted over zoom due to the pandemic. If you truly want to be a lawyer do not lose hope. Rooting for you! P.S. you're only 22. Your ambition and work ethic is very impressive. You have a lot to be proud of. I'm 26 and just figuring all of this out!

• AnnBurnsAnnBurns Core Member
    31 karma

I am also working full time and have a puppy and totally understand the burnout. Maybe this sounds dumb but be gentle with yourself! You are obviously smart and motivated. Maybe take a few weeks and do a little soul searching and really get to the root of why you want to be a lawyer and if you decide thats what you want then really throw yourself into studying. I think to myself about my habits now that I am "clawing my way through." I'm exhausted and cranky all the time but I just keep reminding myself that this is what I want and if I put in the work now it will make everything easier later.

As for the actual test part- I like 7sage but sometimes find going through learning question types I already understand frustrating and slow. I would say that if you have the time, start at the beginning and really dig in to understanding the fundamentals and get a better understanding of where your problem areas are and then focus on those. Remember that any test prep is designed to help you get a better score. You aren't being graded on if you complete 7sage or any other test prep. All that matters is that your score goes up! So figure out what works for you and do that even if it's not what other people are doing. I also second whoever said hire a tutor- I hadn't studied LG at all and I went from -14 on LG to -2 on LG in 3 weeks. The biggest thing is that you CAN do this! You just have to make sure you really want to. Good luck!!

• gaver456gaver456 Core Member
    edited July 2021 108 karma

Hi! I am in a very similar boat. Feel free to DM me.

I started my LSAT journey in September of 2019, but looked at a few questions and did a few PTs before (so perhaps even earlier). I took time off, got back to it, and really honed in working full time and studying September of 2020 till the January test. Despite over 300 hours of studying (I actually kept a record!), I scored a 153 - which is what I got months before and after a long break. I was incredibly upset, but thought I'd throw my hat into the law school ring anyway.

Well, months later, I wasn't offered any spots (even at schools with 150 scores and lower), and I find myself (again) studying full time, working, trying to maintain a long-distance relationship, working out, etc. I'm exhausted! It doesn't help that I started working as a paralegal and, despite the prestigious firm, have no interest in what our lawyers do day-to-day. I've thought so many times, "is this really for me? If not, what's the alternative?"

I think it's normal to ebb and flow with your passion for law and hesitate on making a big commitment such as going to law school. I can't stress enough how helpful it is to speak to people here, a therapist, your family, friends and support network, etc. The prevailing opinion here is true- you don't need to rush! My coworker hasn't touched the LSAT and she's been "prepping" to go to law school for 8 years now. She will get there in her own time and do something brilliant afterwards. I took a backwards route and am in my third entry-level job, but I'll get there too. If life has other plans for me- especially after this pandemic ends- I'm open to that as well though ;) Some raw advice: never give up your happiness or mental health, even if you think you have to go in a certain direction. Remember your goals are there to support your vision of happiness, and it's okay if it changes or takes time.

PS: My friend is graduating from Cornell Law (he did a sneaky LLM conversion, having both French and English law degrees) and got a 140 when he took a practice LSAT. The test has no bearing on how brilliant you are!

• Isaac BensaidIsaac Bensaid Member
    69 karma

I think you will get a 150 eventually, if you keep on trying.

50 karma

@AnnBurns Thank you so much! Handling a new puppy is super stressful too so adding that to your current schedule is a lot to handle! I am glad you are powering through. And WOW. Your improvement in games is quite impressive!!! I love games a lot but I just suck at them. I have linear games down but any others like hybrid or in/out or grouping I am just god awful. I am curious to know who your tutor is (if it is someone on here or an outside resource) as I am open to that. I am financially needy at least for the next couple of months but am willing to make it work if it is worth it which it sounds like it is. I have the chance to save money later on when I move back home this fall. Are you able to provide me with any resources as far as the tutoring services you have done? Thanks!

• AnnBurnsAnnBurns Core Member
    31 karma

@cassiezbylut I got a tutor through Wyzant (its virtual in my case). Send me a private message (if you can do that on here?) for his name because I'm not sure if he wants me to just put it out into the world! But Wyzant has been great for me, lots of tutors to choose from with varying rates to work with you financial situation. Also sorry for the late response- I am not great at navigating this site.