Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RC -15

I felt myself might be the worst RC test taker in the discussion section. I have no idea how to improve it. Focusing on big picture has no help for me. I simply do not understand what the passage was talking about! My LR is now -5 but RC score could not be worse.

It's the biggest obstacle on my LSAT journey.

Comments

• csharm002csharm002 Member
    352 karma

Hey there! I feel ya, RC is tough. Something I really focus on while drilling is untimed work. In order to go faster, you have to start slower. This could include anything from translation, picking up the smaller details, etc.

• Mango_gogogoMango_gogogo Member
    77 karma

@csharm002 said:
    Hey there! I feel ya, RC is tough. Something I really focus on while drilling is untimed work. In order to go faster, you have to start slower. This could include anything from translation, picking up the smaller details, etc.

Thanks!

• lsat2021-2lsat2021-2 Alum Member
    275 karma

Definitely also having a similar problem. I would focus on mindset. 1) you need to do the low res summaries that focus on structure. For instance, say something like "introduction of theory" for first paragraph, and move forward. 2) At the end of each passage, ask yourself, "WHY did the author write this?" because if you take at that value, it will help you with main point and inference questions. 3) remember all answers in RC are provable. they will come straight from the text. if they are not, you can infer to a provable answer choice.

• elevator_musicelevator_music Core Member
    151 karma

As someone for whom RC is their worst section I feel ya. I think I agree with the commenter above. If you are getting -15 on a section, what is your distribution of wrong answers? Are you trying to do all four passages in allotted time? I think if the latter is the case, slowing down is the way to go--I think going for three (or even two) passages in a section and just guessing on the others could be the way to go for now. I think it's better to get 90%-100% of questions right on 3 passages than trying to go for all four and missing easy questions you could have gotten to if you took the time to read the easier passages. That way you can build up the skill needed to then tackle on the last passage, and in the meantime you can cover the "leftover" passage in blind review and really hone your technique.