PT61.S4.Q01 - Among Trinidadian guppies...

edited July 2021 in Logical Reasoning 571 karma

7Sage has this question categorized as (Misc)(MSS) but I am thinking it may be closer to a principle question type. The question stem appears to be unique and this question threw me off at the start. I want to make sure that I am prepared the next time I see one like this.

https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-61-section-4-question-01/

Question Type
  1. What question type is this question?7 votes
    1. MSS
      14.29%
    2. Misc
        0.00%
    3. Principle
      71.43%
    4. Other
      14.29%

Comments

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    edited August 2021 8460 karma

Either works... you could also call it a parallel type question. I think its important to recognize that question "types" are our constructs. We apply them to the content because they work most of the time. The test writers are under no such constraints and can/will do whatever tf they want.

Our constructs. That is why you see different classifications, system dependent.... Powerscore's "justify the conclusion", Ellen saying "PSAs aren't real", etc. None are wrong... what you're doing is translation, but you're kind of prepackaging it so that it happens without the need for conscious, deliberate processing, thereby increasing efficiency... which is what good prep does IMO - makes as much as possible automatic.

But it wont always work, which especially apparent in principle questions which are kind of like the chameleon type... they can work like most of the other question types. Sometimes (like with misc stems or very commonly in RC questions) you just need to be able to forego any hope of a ready made solution, get down and dirty and do the translation yourself, just like you would with a stimulus or passage - what is the stem asking me to do? What is my answer choice criteria?

I voted other, because I think ultimately it doesn't matter.

• 571 karma

@canihazJD said:
    Either works... you could also call it a parallel type question. I think its important to recognize that question "types" are our constructs. We apply them to the content because they work most of the time. The test writers are under no such constraints and can/will do whatever tf they want.

Our constructs. That is why you see different classifications, system dependent.... Powerscore's "justify the conclusion", Ellen saying "PSAs aren't real", etc. None are wrong... what you're doing is translation, but you're kind of prepackaging it so that it happens without the need for conscious, deliberate processing, thereby increasing efficiency... which is what good prep does IMO - makes as much as possible automatic.

But it wont always work, which especially apparent in principle questions which are kind of like the chameleon type... they can work like most of the other question types. Sometimes (like with misc stems or very commonly in RC questions) you just need to be able to forego any hope of a ready made solution, get down and dirty and do the translation yourself, just like you would with a stimulus or passage - what is the stem asking me to do? What is my answer choice criteria?

I voted other, because I think ultimately it doesn't matter.

Sorry for the late response, but thank you for providing an in-depth answer. Reflecting a bit, I wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment. I would prioritize adaptability over memorizing question types any day. I have seen some very strange question stems in the past that are on the fringe of question types but I do agree that being adaptable to those situations is the best approach. Thanks!

• WinningHereWinningHere Member
    edited August 2021 417 karma

Whether it's principle or MSS the answer choice still needs to be supported by the passage right? And E is the clear answer here.