Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does anyone use the highlighting feature for RC?

Recently I've discovered using the highlighting tool on RC helps me pick up the smaller details and answer the questions much faster with better understanding. While it does take slightly longer in the set up (a tad over 4 minutes), I was actually having the issue of reading way too fast and understanding next to nothing in my timed runs, so I'd rather have it this way. Out of curiosity, does anyone else do this with success? Have you done it on the actual test (and are there multiple colors available like on 7Sage)? Thanks!

Comments

• agc438agc438 Alum Member
    253 karma

My first test is in August but I have used it. Generally, I like using the yellow highlighter for facts, orange for mini conclusions, and purple for important thesis/conclusions. I'm not scoring too hot on RC though so there are probably better options.

• CosmicTigerCosmicTiger Member
    15 karma

I love the highlight feature, but really only to help me track while I read the passage. I have the same problem of reading too quickly and not catching details if I don't utilize any highlight. I'd say do what helps you. Check out lawhub so you can see how the test will look come test day. It's very similar to 7sage, but worth looking at before the big day!

• eziffeziff Member
    55 karma

@agc438 I'm a bit skeptical about the usefulness of separating the section into these categories you describe while doing timed runs. You're probably not going to find a neat fit for a lot of it and I worry that you're gonna end up spending time and mental bandwidth categorizing rather than piecing together the section as a whole.

• 40 karma

I find the highlighting feature useful, but only utilize it to flag primary arguments within each paragraph, and sometimes also highlight supports.

• susan.hongsusan.hong Member
    15 karma

I just recently discovered how useful the highlighting tool was for my RC passages (and LR too tbh)... I have an incredibly short attention span so I like to use the highlighter for marking WORDS here and there that kind of act like trigger words for when I go back to look for information in the passage. I also switch colors when the author flips positions using words like "Contrarily.." or "However" so that I can keep track of what counterarguments and position the author is trying to hold. It's been helpful for me to not get so overwhelmed and distracted while reading and helps me to digest the author's main positioning without having to reread again and again (which I used to do).. I used to always not be able to get to one passage, but now I can at least finish all 4 passages :)

• agc438agc438 Alum Member
    253 karma

@eziff said:
    @agc438 I'm a bit skeptical about the usefulness of separating the section into these categories you describe while doing timed runs. You're probably not going to find a neat fit for a lot of it and I worry that you're gonna end up spending time and mental bandwidth categorizing rather than piecing together the section as a whole.

Yeah, I'm still working on RC to get it down and this is just what I do to not get lost. It honestly helps to keep track what's going on. I never do untimed runs and it's helping me right now or else I literally get lost in the passage. Granted, I'm open for any new ideas because I know it's not the most efficient.

• csharm002csharm002 Member
    352 karma

Thank you everyone for your input!