Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Remote LSAT experience at a hotel?

Confidence150Confidence150 Alum Member
edited August 2021 in General 1417 karma

Has anyone taken the remote LSAT at the hotel? If yes, how was the wifi? Did you need to move any furniture or cover the electronics like TV?

Thank you

Comments

• MissionLsatMissionLsat Member
    379 karma

I didn't moved any furniture. But I just covered the television with a piece of cloth. There is nothing to worry about, just chose one that provides a good wifi.

• edited August 2021 540 karma

I haven't taken it at a hotel but I have pretty strong reservations against the idea from my personal experience. If you must, I highly suggest that you get a good hotel that you absolutely trust.

A few weeks ago, my fiance and I were staying at a hotel (shall remain anonymous). But our immediate neighbors were absolute nightmares. Screaming, fighting, singing throughout the night from 10 p.m. until 5 a.m, despite the "quite hour" that began at 9 p.m. Topped off with multiple crying kids.

We were so unlucky because the hotel couldn't find a different room for us. The police nearly arrested them at 5 a.m. But we didn't get an ounce of sleep that day.

• robertgmarinorobertgmarino Core Member
    edited August 2021 26 karma

Took the June test at a hotel. Asked for a quiet room on a Monday morning and they put me next to THREE CONFERENCES. 100% messed up my score, but did land a 168. Very poor experience, but obviously not every hotel will be like this. Really press them on the fact that you need a room isolated from as many people as possible. There was even the rumbling of a pool party starting with like 10 kids, and a multi-flight flight attendant crew of like 60 people walking through the halls lol. Be VERY careful with hotels!!

Wifi was fine, only dropped out once for no more than 15 seconds. I unplugged all of the phone jacks in the room to ensure no one called the room, and I had to cover the television with towels. I also moved an extra lamp over to that "desk" they always have in hotel rooms because the lighting was not that great.

• LegallyLSATLegallyLSAT Live Member
    161 karma

I personally haven't, but my friend took the bar in a hotel. What she did was take a practice exam under timed conditions so this way she could decide whether it worked out.

Do keep in mind things can come up with it being at a hotel like mandatory fire drill, multiple people walking through hallways, etc.

If you decide to do it at a hotel, take a practice exam there to see if it's for you and definitely get a quiet area to take the test.

• CashhhyyyCashhhyyy Core Member
    583 karma

PLEASEEEE BE CAREFUL! Online LSAT SUCKS because you lose wifi. If you lose wifi at home, you can automatically restart your motor BUT in a hotel, YOU CANNOT. It kicks you out of the test. Lost like 15-20 minutes test time because of this.

• Confidence150Confidence150 Alum Member
    1417 karma

Thank you everyone for sharing. I have taken the online LSAT once and experienced a 2 hour delay due to tech difficulties. It was actually at home and my device passed the proctorU check even had strong connection. Still... I kept losing the proctor and glitches with screen sharing.

Unfortunately, for this this take, I will need to take it at a hotel due to home remodeling.

• phosita_phoeatahphosita_phoeatah Yearly Member
    edited August 2021 238 karma

Would LSAC allow you to take the test at a local library? Some libraries have special quiet rooms you could reserve for 3-4 hours. Libraries are generally quiet places, and some might even have working ethernet ports (so you don't have to rely on WiFi).

ETA: seems as if this was allowed at least a year ago, according to UIUC. http://publish.illinois.edu/prelawadvising/2020/08/22/where-to-take-the-lsat-flex/

• Arete_SouthbayArete_Southbay Core Member
    325 karma

If your concern is wifi, to be on the safe side you can go to your local T-Mobile store and purchase a mobile hotspot service and device for like $50. I know it's a additional cost but you will have peace of mind knowing that your internet will work.

• 273 karma

@Arete_Southbay Do you mind sharing how the mobile hotspot is more reliable than the conventional WiFi at home or at a hotel? I've also had connectivity issues and have been considering using ethernet, but this sounds like it might be a good option, too. How is using the mobile hotspot service different from connecting to my phone's mobile hotspot?

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

I'd ask about whether they have ethernet and put a sign on the door, maybe in English and a couple other languages, along with using the "do not disturb" sign. Also, communicate with the reservation coordinator beforehand to express your concerns about noise and disruption. Maybe ask what schedule they use for housekeeping duties; at many hotels, your room won't be cleaned until you leave because of COVID, but they'll vacuum the hallways at certain hours. And adjust the temperature to your liking.

• Confidence150Confidence150 Alum Member
    1417 karma

Thanks everyone!!