Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How often do you skip question?

Gz412326Gz412326 Alum Member
in General 92 karma
During a timed section, how often do you skip questions? How much time do you spend on the question before skipping? I am wondering is skipping after 1 read through and not quickly seeing an answer is too fast.

Comments

• Dr. YamataDr. Yamata Member Inactive ⭐
    578 karma
    My little internal clock usually tells me to move on if I don't know the answer after reading the stim, question, and answers twice and taking a good stab at it. I do not know how much time elapses, but I know I routinely finish the LR sections with time left over to go back to skipped questions or answers of which I was unsure. For those big huge parallel questions, sometimes I give myself longer or save until the end.
  • visualcreedvisualcreed Member Inactive ⭐
    326 karma
    I sometimes skip over the parallel questions because they can take some time. I also skip a game if I can't get a grasp of it quickly. During the actual test I didn't skip any questions and just blazed through.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    I tend to keep different strategies for each section. If a game looks like a time sink, I will skip it in order to knock out the easier ones first so I can hopefully have ~10+ minutes left to do it at the end. For RC, each passage and its questions can be time sinks and its hard to know without reading them so I would say I always do the passages in order. However, for passages that I don't quite grasp completely on the first read through (to the extent I don't immediately have an idea of the main point), then I'll skip around to find questions that are easier and can help me to build up more of an understanding of the passage. For example, I usually seek out any questions that ask about the role or meaning of specific words on a particular line. Those are usually the easiest and give me a chance to look back at the passage and then I try to go from there.

For LR, it can be a bit trickier because it can be more difficult to skip a question (especially towards the beginning) and then go back and find it again later. Usually if I spend over two minutes my internal clock will say WTF and I'll circle the question, pick an answer and move on, then circle back if I have enough time.

It sounds like you might be going slightly too fast since for short LR questions with short ACs, it shouldn't take you more than 30-45 seconds to read everything, so moving on after less than a minute seems like a little bit of overkill. Maybe try pumping the brakes on that a little bit and see where it gets you.
  • Dr. YamataDr. Yamata Member Inactive ⭐
    578 karma
    Same.. I blazed myself into like -23 points on the games. I really have to pull on the reins next time around for the games and RC. I intend to solve for a lot more possibilities up front.. and I am considering skipping the 5 question game (if there is one)
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    I generally move on if after reading the stem, stim and once through the ACs nothing stands out I circle one that maybe hinted/seemed like it could be it and then circle the question to go back to. if absolutely lost after reading ACs once, I quickly go over them again and pick the one that seems best. Doing this generally leaves me enough time to go back and check out the problems I was really unsure about and a fresh view helps often. There are plenty of times that I get stuck and distract myself from moving on when I should but that goes away with more practice