Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Loophole?? How helpful is it?

Hello everyone,

So I started my LSAT prep with Powerscore books and then got 7Sage for prep tests. I am struggling with LR, and I have heard a lot of people talk about how the Loophole has helped them a lot with Logical Reasoning. I just wanted to ask if it is worth purchasing the Loophole if I already have my Powerscore books + 7Sage? I just don’t want another thing to buy if it’s going to restate things I already know/can get access to with the LSAT resources I already own.

ALSO, I haven’t gone through the 7 Sage CC since I studied with the Powerscore books. Would you guys say it’s worth it to go through the LR 7 sage CC since I am still struggling with this section? I am not sure I have enough time to since my exam is in October.

Thanks everyone in advance for any advice/tips!!

Comments

• 424 karma

I would recommend delaying your test and covering the entire CC. It covers some very important information.

Loophole is helpful not so much because of its information but because of the drills and mindset. Nowhere else (that I know of) emphasizes the importance of “translation” on the test. Simply Reading loophole will do you little good. Working through Loophole and really doing the translation drills will help tremendously, IMO.

• sarakimmelsarakimmel Member
    1488 karma

Take it from someone who approached LR in much the same way as you are now describing: pick one method and learn it fully. For me, it wasn't until I did the 7Sage CC all the way through that Loophole was remotely useful. It can be very helpful, but not without a solid base of understanding. The way the 7Sage curriculum is set up is, in my opinion, an excellent foundation and the two methodologies are complimentary, though some techniques conflict (which is why I say do one at a time, so you don't get mixed up).

@"Hal Incandenza" is right, making sure you have adequate time to prepare is key! Best of luck!

• whatsmynamewhatsmyname Member
    edited August 2021 606 karma

Over-rated IMO, same as any other text.

• Burt ReynoldsBurt Reynolds Alum Member Sage
    957 karma

@"Hal Incandenza" said:
    I would recommend delaying your test and covering the entire CC. It covers some very important information.

Loophole is helpful not so much because of its information but because of the drills and mindset. Nowhere else (that I know of) emphasizes the importance of “translation” on the test. Simply Reading loophole will do you little good. Working through Loophole and really doing the translation drills will help tremendously, IMO.

Couldn't agree more.

• zoomzoomzoomzoom Member
    462 karma

I think Loophole has definite benefits but I don't think it's the world-beater that Amazon and other places rave about.

A huge chunk of its rave reviews stem from 2 very specific techniques called Translation and CLIR. But Translation simply means reading closely in a way that makes it easier for you to remember what the stimulus is saying. To me, that was just slowing down and thinking about what each sentence said before you go on.

And CLIR is simply just predicting the answer before you go into the answers.

These 2 techniques are very good but they have been preached about for a long time by many tutors and companies. Reading carefully and aiming to predict the answer is at the heart of LR fundamentals. So it introduces 2 things that have already been in place for a very long time.

So it is definitely good but I wouldn't say it will necessarily lead to magical improvements simply by reading it. If your fundamentals are poor, use the book to build better fundamentals up and your score will get better.

• 424 karma

Phew!! I’d be really bummed if I got Burt Reynolds disagreeing with me!

• edited August 2021 80 karma

I have mixed feelings about it. I do feel like the powerful / provable framework is a useful lens BUT I don't think it's as watertight as she may ascribe it to be.

I feel like it's a bit overhyped, but I think it's worth buying her book just to skim and see if it's worth it for you. The most you'll lose is $30 IMO.

Another way to think about it is comparative. She charges $600 per session ($300 per hour, 2 hour minimum), so you're getting a ton of value from her $30 book if that's any consolation.

• eddieh414eddieh414 Member
    77 karma

Super over rated and convoluted. Almost pretentious. Stick to 7sage

• TE CSC 2021TE CSC 2021 Core Member
    148 karma

There aren't any magic bullets in this whole thing. What works for one person may not work for another. The one thing to be cautious about though is hopping around with resources when you aren't getting instant results. LSAT mastery is won over time and really through you learning and mastering a comprehensive method and applying it repeatedly to real LSAT content. If you don't take the time to master 7sage, or Powerscore, or Loophole, or who/whatever, you'll just find yourself hopping around to something new again.

• WinningHereWinningHere Member
    417 karma

Don't have, never used it. I've worked from -17 in LR, to -8 (and going...).

• alexaleknazalexaleknaz Live Member
    68 karma

@zoomzoom said:
    But Translation simply means reading closely in a way that makes it easier for you to remember what the stimulus is saying. To me, that was just slowing down and thinking about what each sentence said before you go on.

And CLIR is simply just predicting the answer before you go into the answers.

Isn't this literally just "personalizing the argument" and "paraphrasing" from 7Sage LR core curriculum / Powerscore LR Bible?