Reapplying with Same Personal Statement/LOR's?

alpacaboy12alpacaboy12 Member
edited August 2021 in Law School Admissions 14 karma

I am reapplying this cycle after getting wait listed at my top schools. I applied last cycle days before the application deadline because I took my LSAT in February. I was told by multiple counselors that I'd normally be a shoe in for the ones I applied for had it not been so late in the cycle. I am applying to schools where I am either at the median score or above it. I was wondering if I have to write a new PS. The one I used last year was great and really told my story of why I wanted to go to law school. I don't think I can write another, if so, because my "why" really hasn't changed. Also, do I need new LOR's? Thank you!

Comments

• arod1alx7arod1alx7 Member
    281 karma

I've been told not to do that, being in the same situation as you, I plan on just changing it a bit, like 20-30% of it since I also felt particularly satisfied with my PS

I'm using the same LOR though, I have 2 academic ones, so I'm gonna see if one of my current bosses where I work will be willing to make one for me, so that my LOR situation is better than last year

• nye8870nye8870 Alum
    1749 karma

I too was waitlisted, and didn't get in. I plan on re-applying with the same LOR and PS. If they liked me enough to waitlist but didn't have room, then my app should still be as strong next go-around. From what I've heard, law schools are currently receiving way more apps these days bc people who wouldn't have had time before covid, now are giving it a shot. Just get the app in early.

• galacticgalactic Yearly Member
    edited August 2021 690 karma

Hi there, I'm pretty sure you'll be OK with the same LORs but the prevailing wisdom I've heard on using the same Personal Statement is hard no. Try to think about something you've learned this past year as a result of having to delay -- this could be an experience you had, or a perspective you gained. You might think that your new Personal Statement just doesn't have the potential of your 1st -- but I think from an admissions committee's perspective it is quite the opposite -- How the person they're looking at today is different from a year ago will be the top question on their minds when looking at your app, and so building a Personal Statement on this in fact allows for limitless potential. Does that make sense? Hope this helps.

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

Speaking as a former admissions officer, I would encourage you to make sure that you are giving the admissions committee something new to look at. This doesn't mean that you have to scrap your old personal statement entirely or that you have to get a whole new set of recommendations. When the committee reviews your file, they will have access to your prior application and will do a side by side comparison. Generally, they will be looking for reasons why they should make a different decision from before. They will want to see that you respect the process and didn't just turn around and recycle your old application from 6 months ago. So, what can you do? You could update your resume. If your relationship with your recommenders haven't changed, see if they are willing to at least put a fresh date on their old letter. I would try to make a few revisions in the personal statement so it isn't exactly like the prior version. The admissions officer wants to know what sort of candidate you are today, not who you were when you applied earlier. Good luck!

• gucgemotoogucgemotoo Member
    31 karma

@nye8870 I was waitlisted as well but was recently told class is full. The school did mention if I plan to reapply, to have new personal statements and supporting documents as they will compare to my old file.