Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How would you approach if you do not see improvement in your RC?

RC

Poll not found

Comments

• tahurrrrrtahurrrrr Member
      1106 karma

What are you doing when you read these passages? If you're not improving at all, you need to change something about how you're studying. It's hard to say what if you don't know exactly what you're struggling with.

Focus on doing single untimed passages and blind reviewing them. After each paragraph, stop reading and summarize what you've read up to that point. Take notes on the author's tone as well.

• mikeysteveymikeystevey Member
      7 karma

I started reading more scientific/history related things. I subscribed to NY times and bought some history books and that seemed help a lot!

• Law schoolLaw school Member
      158 karma

@tahurrrrr said:
      What are you doing when you read these passages? If you're not improving at all, you need to change something about how you're studying. It's hard to say what if you don't know exactly what you're struggling with.

Focus on doing single untimed passages and blind reviewing them. After each paragraph, stop reading and summarize what you've read up to that point. Take notes on the author's tone as well.

When I read under time pressure, I jut try to read fast, and get it on time but at the same time, it seems I understand the whole idea but when it comes down to the questions and I read all the answer choices, I am not able to pick up the right one and I go back to passage to reread again to make sure. For instance, in main point, I usually confuse between 2 or 3 answer choices and difficult to pick the actual right answer choice from LSAT writers perspective.

• galacticgalactic Yearly Member
      edited August 2021 690 karma

Hey @"Frank Dawson", what RC strategy are you using? Like if I put an RC passage & questions in front of you, can you walk me through what steps you take from start to finish? This would help me in offering any advice I can.

• tahurrrrrtahurrrrr Member
      1106 karma

@"Frank Dawson" said:

@tahurrrrr said:

When I read under time pressure, I jut try to read fast, and get it on time but at the same time, it seems I understand the whole idea but when it comes down to the questions and I read all the answer choices, I am not able to pick up the right one and I go back to passage to reread again to make sure. For instance, in main point, I usually confuse between 2 or 3 answer choices and difficult to pick the actual right answer choice from LSAT writers perspective.

So then you need find a way to block out the time pressure. This isn't a test where you want to sacrifice accuracy for the sake of attempting every question. Depending on your goal score, maybe you should focus on completely answering 3 passages and ignoring the 4th. Once you get confident in completely and accurately finishing 3 passage, then you can try adding the 4th back in.

158 karma

@tahurrrrr said:

@"Frank Dawson" said:

@tahurrrrr said:

So then you need find a way to block out the time pressure. This isn't a test where you want to sacrifice accuracy for the sake of attempting every question. Depending on your goal score, maybe you should focus on completely answering 3 passages and ignoring the 4th. Once you get confident in completely and accurately finishing 3 passage, then you can try adding the 4th back in.

Yes, I think that would be an option and I was thinking of this But any time I want to use this strategy, I feel bad and try to speed up and get into 4 passage. I feel guilty if I l do not reach out to passage 4.

158 karma

@"galactic law" said:
      Hey @"Frank Dawson", what RC strategy are you using? Like if I put an RC passage & questions in front of you, can you walk me through what steps you take from start to finish? This would help me in offering any advice I can.

Hey, tbh I do not have any. I just read the passage, highlights some key terms and try to memorize those important part of passage but then when I go to questions then I most likely have to go over passage again to ensure find the answer for that question. I feel like I doubt to choose one. I would like to examine with someone who is master in RC. So I know what am I doing wrong which I am sure something is wrong. Thus, please let me know how we can arrange this.

• lizzogonzolizzogonzo Member
      628 karma

@"Frank Dawson" said:

Hey, tbh I do not have any. I just read the passage, highlights some key terms and try to memorize those important part of passage but then when I go to questions then I most likely have to go over passage again to ensure find the answer for that question. I feel like I doubt to choose one. I would like to examine with someone who is master in RC. So I know what am I doing wrong which I am sure something is wrong. Thus, please let me know how we can arrange this.

It sounds like you need to prioritize the right information on RC. Unless you have photographic memory, focusing on memorizing isn't going to have much of a payoff. When you go into the questions and answer choices and you can't pick, it means you did not have a good enough understanding of the passage.

Rather than memorizing details, try to take the time to read at your normal pace, don't skim, and find the author's voice and what they're trying to convey. Every sentence is somehow contributing to the author's main point. Ask yourself "why is the author including this?" For example, if they are bringing in another scientist's perspective, are they mentioning it to contrast? To contextualize? To support their claims? These are the kinds of questions you should be asking yourself as you read the passage. You need to be constantly synthesizing the information not for the sake of memorization but for a thorough understanding of the author's point.

Think of taking time to understand the passages like in LG: You do the work upfront so that you have an easier time going through the questions/answer choices. I found myself easily eliminating the 4 wrong answer choices and finding the correct answer choice once I started learning how to read the passages properly. Hope this helps!

• HopefullyHLSHopefullyHLS Member
      edited August 2021 445 karma

@"Frank Dawson" said:
      When I read under time pressure, I jut try to read fast

I think that's the factor keeping you from making progress. Speed increase should be nothing else but a by-product of an increase in competency = reading comprehension.

I would suggest you go through old passages from PT 1-35 untimed, and focus on accuracy.

While reading, try to rigorously apply JY's low resolution summary method instead of just remembering details. Furthermore, subscribe to The Economist and, while reading the articles, try to apply the low resolution summary method there as well. If you do it often enough, it will become second nature.

Once mastered understanding the passage in a reasonable speed, though, you should focus on getting the questions right (especially since the 60's, RC questions have become trickier, therefore it will be wise to spend a decent amount of time on Blind Review for Reading Comprehension in order to get a sense what LSAC does in order to implement tricky answer choices).

• BlueRiceCakeBlueRiceCake Member
      302 karma

The best way Ive seen RC passages described is a inch wide and a mile deep. They questions are easy in terms of logic, but you need to understand the nuances of the question and answers your being presented which is the hard part. In my experience, the only way to get better is through drilling. The more passages you do the better you'll become at isolating the details needed(and boy are the RC passages sticklers for details). Don't just burn passages and questions though, I recommend building up a collection of PTs you've completed and recycling old passages and questions

• czheng15czheng15 Member
      16 karma

@mikeystevey said:
      I started reading more scientific/history related things. I subscribed to NY times and bought some history books and that seemed help a lot!

May I know the names of those history books. Struggling with RC as well. Thank you!

• galacticgalactic Yearly Member
      edited August 2021 690 karma

@Frankiee said:

@"galactic law" said:

You'll want to employ a strategy to see improvement. Have you tried JY's low res strategy? I've also heard Pacifico's (7Sage forums) & Voyager's (TLS forums) sited before. Personally, I opt for gathering up all of the local (line/paragraph call-out) questions before reading the passage and then treating these questions as road marks as I read, completing them along the way, and then doing all of the global passage questions afterward. I find this really focuses me in on the passage, knowing that I have various road marks to get to, and in doing this, I more effectively retain the overarching structure/main point/tone as well. Does that make sense? Hope this helps. If you still have questions please feel free to pm.