Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First PT since diagnostic

garrett_proctorgarrett_proctor Core Member
in General 72 karma

Hey everyone,

I just took my first practice test since my diagnostic and I'm a little disappointed. My diagnostic was a 143 with 150 BR and first PT after finishing the curriculum was a 147 with a 157 BR. Time constraints are really hurting me and I could use some advice on how to be faster/more efficient during the test.

Also, LG under the time constraint absolutely wrecked me (-13 during time constraint with -3 BR). I'm registered for the October exam but now I'm a little hesitant considering I'm a little over a month away from the test date.

Let me know what y'all think!

Comments

• pugloverpuglover Member
    149 karma

Keep practicing. This is a process, results don't happen suddenly. It may take time to get better.

• Jacfiles96Jacfiles96 Member
    edited August 2021 25 karma

I have been studying about 8 weeks, done about 10-15% of the curriculum, and taken about 10 tests...so I'd take my advice with a grain of salt, but here goes. The fact that you aren't scoring highly on BR (unless you aren't taking your time to do it correctly) indicates you are likely lacking some fundamental knowledge and strategies to generate an above average score. That said, increasing your fundamental understanding, and transitively your ability to score more highly on BR will need to occur before you see improvements on the timed test. It is highly unlikely you'd see an increase on your timed tests before seeing an increase on your BR scores.
    Based on my experience, your timed vs untimed scoring ratio is pretty much standard. Possibly even skewed somewhat heavily towards your timed tests. I typically score anywhere from 12-18 points higher on my BR than on my timed tests. Over the past 3 tests for example I scored 164, 159, 162 timed, with my corresponding BR scores being 177, 171, and 178 respectively. My ratio of timed vs untimed scoring is far worse than yours, so I would again say that the timing is not as much your problem as is your understanding of the fundamentals.
    In terms of your upcoming test, I'll just give my personal strategy for you to consider. I am looking at schools ranked #18 and up on the US News ranking. To achieve this, I am planning to score 170+ on the LSAT by next June. Right now I am averaging 161-162, and I am honestly unsure how likely it is that I will successfully hit my goal score (Only 8 points above my current average) within the next 9 months. That said, I guess whether or not it makes sense to take the October test depends on your goals. If your goal is to score 155-157, I think you could potentially achieve that with a lot of PT's, drilling, and dedicated BR. On the other hand, if you are looking to score higher than that, I would heavily consider what other options you have, because 157+ would be a massive increase from your current score level, especially considering the stress of an official administration vs a PT.
    Not sure how much this helps you, but I wish you all the best in your endeavors! God Bless!

• Glutton for the LSATGlutton for the LSAT Alum Member
    edited August 2021 551 karma

Hi Garrett, I wouldn't worry too much about this score since this is just your first PT after the CC. Usually, taking 5 or 10 LSATs doesn't result in much noticeable progress, and there might be times that your score still drops after doing 10+ LSATs. LSAT progress is not always linear. Keep going!