Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trouble with LG timing

Green-ThumbGreen-Thumb Member
edited August 2021 in Logic Games 19 karma

I took the August LSAT and am retaking in October. I consistently score in the -1 to -3 range on LR and RC, but the LG still gives me trouble. I am usually -5 to -7 mostly because I don't get through all the games, scoring -1 to -3 in BR.

Everything I've read and people I've talked to say that LG is the easiest section, but that has not been my experience. I've done A LOT of practice games and can do the questions, but am still unable to get through them all in 35min. Nerves are not the issue, so maybe I'm just slow to set up and get through the questions? I would appreciate any suggestions for improving timing. Thanks!

Comments

• st_cupertinost_cupertino Member
    177 karma

Have you tried the foolproof method? How often do you re-do games and how far a part do you space your re-dos?
    From what I have experienced and heard, re-doing the game’s set-up immediately after and the next day, and then a re-doing it again a few days after really helps.

What was huge for me too was forcing myself to struggle with the games before I allowed myself to look at J.Y.’s setup. No matter how long it took me, I would work with the set-up and questions until I could get it right on my own. Allowing the space for your brain to struggle is what is going to help you most!

• Jordan JohnsonJordan Johnson Member
    edited August 2021 686 karma

@"mackay.peltzer" I agree with @st_cupertino on the "forcing [yourself] to struggle" before you look at JY's (or any others') setup. I'll sometimes redo a game with a different board that I could also see working (trying to do certain games as grouping v "charts" has been a big one lately). That leads to longer-term progress in recognizing inferences and such on your own.

The other time-saving strategy I've found is the following: if you're not immediately sure how to set up a particular game, click through the questions quickly and find a "local" rule (where it says something like "If X is in 5, then..."). It forces you to write something down, scan the rules, and create a game board that you can use to answer other questions.

Hope that helps!