Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Not sure how to improve LR, if I should keep drilling my weaknesses or work on timing?

I just took the LR sections on PT 65 today. For both sections, I seem to run out of time. The first section with 25 questions, I had 5 minutes left to answer the last 5 questions. I got 17/25 right for that section. The second section with 26 sections, I had 5 minutes left to answer the last 6 questions. I got 20/26 for that section.

I mostly get Qs 1-(17-20) right with 2-3 errors in those questions.

Then towards the end of the section Qs 17-26, I get half/most of them wrong.

For the first 10 Qs, for each sections, I had 22-23 minutes remaining.

I'm not sure where to focus my studying so that I can improve. Tips?

Comments

• Glutton for the LSATGlutton for the LSAT Alum Member
    551 karma

I would prioritize accuracy over speed!

• lizzogonzolizzogonzo Member
    628 karma

Speed comes with accuracy over time. Sounds like you're only missing maybe the harder question in the first 20, and then run out of time.

I do like to do a skipping strategy (there is a fantastic post somewhere on 7sage that I will try to find for you). First round you do the low hanging fruit, get through every question at least once. Then from there you prioritize which questions based on your likelihood of getting it right. This comes w/ practice and knowing what your weaknesses/strengths are. Hope this helps a little, if you need me to elaborate more let me know.

• McBeck418McBeck418 Member
    edited August 2021 500 karma

If you're using the 7sage digital tester, I would take a look at the timing information provided. What questions are you spending more than a minute and a half on. Are you wasting a lot of time early in the section. If it's taking you 12 or 13 minutes for the fist 10 questions, are you hesitating over answers? Typically the first 10 questions or so are pretty intuitive and instinctual. Just click and go. If you're lingering over questions 11-18, you may have gaps in your understanding that cause you to hesitate for certain types. Maybe you aren't reading carefully enough and stumbling around in the answer choices. This can all slow you down.

I would go through question 17-25 (or the hardest LR questions) and see how well you do with them. Use a stop watch to track the time. If it takes you 3 minutes to answer each question, you'll have a better sense of how long it takes you to answer these questions accurately so you can use that to see how much time you'd need left by question 17 to comfortably answer them.

And as everyone says, speed will come with accuracy and remaining calm and confident through the test. Focusing on your understanding what you read and what the common problems arise in argumentation are essential to getting better and faster.

• xo_f4iryxo_f4iry Member
    85 karma

@McBeck418 Thank you! This is helpful.