Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How long is an acceptable addendum?

Hey guys, I just wanted to ask if you all had been advised on how long is too long for an addendum?

I am submitting one to explain a low GPA. I think I have decently good reasons and evidence for how I have changed the situation since I was an undergraduate student, but I'm really not sure how much detail to include in my story.

I think I've written a compelling story that is a page and a half long. I could take out a lot of detail and squeeze it back down to one page, but I feel the bare bones version is significantly less interesting and obviously takes away a good deal of context. What are y'alls thoughts on this?

PS, I'm applying at schools in the 60-80 range

Comments

• lizzogonzolizzogonzo Member
    628 karma

Page and a half is definitely too long. Addenda should be like 2 paragraphs max.

• JMPlaw19JMPlaw19 Member
    edited August 2021 144 karma

The point of an addendum isnt to be your personal statement or a story, if you have a compelling reason then incorporate it into your personal statement. An addendum is a brief explanation, the longer you make it the more it sounds like just an excuse and you not owning up to it, or the more that admissions is going to let it linger. Be precise and to the point.

To you its a big deal, but to people that see thousands of applications every year, they have already heard it all and dont need a big explanation.

• andrew.rsnandrew.rsn Alum Member
    edited August 2021 831 karma

" I think I have decently good reasons and evidence for how I have changed the situation since I was an undergraduate student" Does this mean how you've changed since graduating college? This sounds more like something that would be a a part of your personal statement.

A low gpa addendum is for if there is a valid reason why you had a low gpa, such as having to take care of a sick parent, or something that caused your gpa to be low that maybe was out of your control. I don't think they want you to write it if your gpa was low because you just didn't work hard while in school, but are a much harder worker now.

• sarakimmelsarakimmel Member
    1488 karma

Agreed, the length is far too long. I have heard AdComms say one page max, but even that is pushing it. An addendum should be a clarification, not an essay, so be sure it is an addendum you mean to write. And yes, as @"andrew.rsn" (hi, Andrew!) said, it should only address an anomalous factor effecting your GPA. I wrote one, for example, because I developed pneumonia toward the end of my first semester of college, and my GPA for that one term is far below the rest of my academic record, as seen on my transcript. The addendum is one paragraph. Think of it as a (well-written) note to answer a question the Adcomm reading your application is likely to have. If you started out with ok grades, then improved, this does not provoke a question to the reader, and thus does not require an explanation (if that is the case).

You just don't want to be redundant, so if you can address this in your PS, you won't need to include an addendum. That all being said, feel free to reach out if want any more specific advice on this.