Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cycle Competitiveness

As many of you have probably noticed, the previous admissions cycle was bolstered by many more applicants, the most since -- I believe -- 2011. As a result, scorers in the 170+ range increased dramatically. Surely, this is going to result in deferred candidates taking spots at the top schools of already limited applicant pools. In addition, while ABA 509s from 2020 are available, we are missing data for the most recent cycle. After perusing through the social medias of top schools, I have found that Harvard's incoming class boasts a new median LSAT of 174 and GPA 3.92. Georgetown similarly shot up from a 168 LSAT to 171! With LSAT registrants for this year matching or increasing from the previous year, I am worried we may see another -- even worse -- cycle for the T14 schools.

Does anyone have any educated opinions regarding LSAT registrant data or potential competitiveness at top-tier institutions? If so, what are some potential ways that people can overcome and stand out amongst everyone else?

Comments

• studying4thelsatstudying4thelsat Yearly Member
    edited September 2021 49 karma

Also worried about this as well! Both for the application cycle and job opportunities after law school graduation with the surge in applicants this year and last year. I believe around 2010-2013 the surge in people who went to law school became so great that there were more people than jobs. I had spoken to several law schools last year in regards to scholarships I had heard about from lawyers in the family and most told me that they had stopped giving those scholarships, and only had them in the first place to incentivize people to apply to their schools at the time since people had heard about the no jobs for people with JD's and applications to law schools started to decline.

• FloridaManFloridaMan Core Member
    139 karma

It is a terrible situation. So many people applying merely because they did not know what other career to pursue, which is hurting those of us who knew we wanted to be a lawyer for years and now when it's time to apply its the worst timing. But there is nothing we can do about it except try our best.

• galacticgalactic Yearly Member
    690 karma

Hi there, to answer your 2nd question: this is something that is 100% out of your control. The time you spend ruminating over law school admissions data is time lost, never to be retrieved, that you could've spent making yourself a better candidate. So my advice would be a hard exit stage left on this topic & focus rather on how you can do better on the LSAT, how you can improve your applications, & how you can make a bigger impact on your community. Does that make sense? Hope this helps!

• mkleinman0000mkleinman0000 Member
    69 karma

As stressful as it may be, it's out of our control, which means the only thing we can all do is our best. Everyone is in the same boat, so just take it one day at a time, and give it your all. There is nothing to think about except taking the test.

• @"galactic law" While I agree with your sentiment of refocusing my attention to application materials and preparation, this research honestly took very little time. Most of it was gathered through my passive listening of podcasts at work, if anything.

However, I do believe this information has practical benefits you might be overlooking. Where, when, and how to advertise yourself are important questions, particularly at the highest level schools. How to respond to waitlists -- which are certainly inevitable in this cycle. Knowing that some schools are seriously looking for demonstrated interest this year and how to do that when most schools do not provide tours or in-person visits. Of course, I appreciate the comment, though!

• agc438agc438 Alum Member
    253 karma

@"galactic law" said:
    Hi there, to answer your 2nd question: this is something that is 100% out of your control. The time you spend ruminating over law school admissions data is time lost, never to be retrieved, that you could've spent making yourself a better candidate. So my advice would be a hard exit stage left on this topic & focus rather on how you can do better on the LSAT, how you can improve your applications, & how you can make a bigger impact on your community. Does that make sense? Hope this helps!

YES YES YES YES YES!!!! I wish I could upvote this comment because it's SO TRUE. Doing more LSAT prep is so much more productive and I fall into this god forsaken trap of worrying about the dang cycle too. Ugh, if only humans operated on only logic sometimes instead of emotions, stress, etc etc.

• sarakimmelsarakimmel Member
    edited September 2021 1488 karma

I saw one theory that seemed interesting:
    https://blog.spiveyconsulting.com/2021-2022-predictions-podcast/
    PowerScore had something, too, but I can't find it.

From what I've heard, no one really knows what to expect for this cycle. Yes, there was over enrollment, and just looking at some of the new numbers is daunting. Yes, this will result in more folks than usual who deferred getting spots that would otherwise go to new applicants, but we can't know the full effect from that till the dust settles. Something to keep in mind, however, is that the number of people who will withdraw their apps is also likely to be higher... will this offset the deferrals? I think only time will tell, but it should mitigate some of the effects.

As far as making oneself more competitive, I'd say being realistic about your stats and where you apply will be key. I fear that most softs are not going to help anyone falling outside medians for this cycle. Adcomms love to say it's a "holistic" admissions process, but if your stats aren't competitive, it becomes a lot less holistic. Agreed with other posters, focusing on getting the best possible LSAT score is the best (and only controllable) way to stand out as that will at least get your application read and put you in a position to make a case for your admission.

Just my $.02!

• lawgiclordlawgiclord Core Member
    edited September 2021 9 karma

Just make sure you apply before December and submit the strongest application you can. And if this cycle doesn't work, there is always the next cycle!

If you don't get in to your top schools, just remember, it's not cancer.

Take care everyone!

• CashhhyyyCashhhyyy Core Member
    583 karma

I think about this at night... I start to research 509's. Searching 509's definitely puts me back on track for goal purposes. Some will say, don't focus on 509's you are wasting your time... honestly that isn't true. Now I am not saying take hours everyday, but I understand that may give you a peace of mind or put that pressure that some of us need to work and keep on studying.

I came to a conclusion though. I can't control how many people apply or click that button that says "accepted", but I can control how I prepare for an exam that means a lot to them.
    God will put us in the right school and correct cycle. If you don't get accepted into this cycle, as annoying as this sounds... it was for a reason. If you didn't get accepted into a law school that you really wanted, God sees things that you don't see yet.

Stay ambitious and study hard.