Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Difficulty with Virtual Format

mboster007mboster007 Member
in General 16 karma

Throughout school I took tests with pen and paper, so all of my testing strategy habits utilize pen and paper (crossing ACs out, putting dots next to an AC I think is correct but I don't want to commit to yet, etc). I have been working to transfer these strategies to the virtual format, but I reeeaally don't like having to take the LSAT with a computer. It's not super easy to do after using pen and paper for K-12 standard tests and all of undergrad. I feel like I have to relearn habits which were mechanic before, and it's wearing me down a bit.

Does anyone have any tips on what has been helpful for them? I have tried writing out A-E on paper, but this is a waste of time and scratch paper that I can't afford while taking a practice test. I am only 2 years out of college, so I feel like a lot of people may share this issue with me. Any advice would be appreciated!

Comments

• It has been difficult for me to transition over to digital testing format as well, so an option I recently thought of - was to purchase a Microsoft Surface Pro or Go 2 (touch screen laptop) with a stylus and utilize the features of highlight/underlining/annotating directly onto the touchscreen laptop itself for RC/LR. The touchscreen laptop you want to use must meet proctor u's requirements --> https://support.proctoru.com/hc/en-us/articles/115011772748-Equipment-Requirements .
    I did my research and contacted LSAC in regards to using a touchscreen laptop with a stylus for the exam, and they approved it. Here is a link with information about the digital LSAT: https://www.lsac.org/lsat/taking-lsat/about-digital-lsat

I read on LSAC's website that they offers Microsoft Go touchscreen tablets (with proctor u & other programs installed) for students to take the exam on. They typically ship it out one week in advance to the student that registers and requests for one.

What I plan on doing, is purchasing from Costco a Microsoft Surface Go 2 with a stylus (have to take the browser out of S mode, & download google chrome) - very simple to do - reason why is b/c S mode it is not supported w/ proctor u, check equipment requirements page w/ the laptop's features to make sure). Or I was looking into purchasing from Costco a Microsoft Surface Pro w/ a stylus and returning it after I take the exam. Costco has a 90 day return policy, so if you were planning on taking the exam in November, then you would just have to return it before the 90 day mark. I already have a MacBook pro and am not interested in keeping this touchscreen tablet lol. If you have any questions, feel free to direct message me and or email me at - ron.djkay@gmail.com!

• phosita_phoeatahphosita_phoeatah Yearly Member
    238 karma

@Mrkaythephilosopher, are you sure that stylus enabled laptops are allowed? Or is this limited only to the Surface Go 2 laptops?

Also, I was under the impression that the stylus feature is disabled even on the Surface Go laptop/2-in-1 device from LSAC. Could someone confirm this?

• @phosita_phoeatah Touch screen laptops with stylus's are allowed, LSAC verified this for me and left me a voicemail - stating that we are permitted to use our own laptops with styluses for the exam (if you want to hear the voicemail i'll email it to you as an audio file).

So, LSAC provides students regular Microsoft Surface tablets without styluses, so if you wish to use theirs then I would order a stylus beforehand and return it after the exam!

Per your second question, go to this website https://www.lsac.org/lsat/taking-lsat/about-digital-lsat , go to tab "Digital LSAT Accessibility" and click the first down arrow. The first bullet point you will see is "Stylus". What I would do to be safe, is to use your own touchscreen laptop & stylus! If you have any specific questions, call LSAC and they will help you out.

• lazarus7lazarus7 Alum Member
    207 karma

Get testing accommodations for paper-and-pencil format. Problem solved.

238 karma

Thanks for confirming, @Mrkaythephilosopher . Unfortunately, i wasn't able to find out much from Proctor U (tried to sign up for an account but wasn't able to do so). Do you know of a phone# I could call to contact LSAC?

@rubenpinuelas7 , how easy is it to obtain the accommodation?

• @phosita_phoeatah No problem, LSAC's customer service number is (215) 968-1393.

238 karma

@Mrkaythephilosopher , thanks again for your help.

I just called LSAC and received confirmation that stylus is allowed.

Btw, how does one engage the annotation feature you mentioned above? All I see are underlining and highlighting options (similar to what 7Sage provides).

• yjl456yjl456 Member
    4 karma

@Mrkaythephilosopher hello! Thank you so much for sharing all the information. I was just wondering if you were able to take the test with the screen flat down on the table or if you had to keep the screen up. I'm so glad to hear that stylus is allowed.

• @yjl456 No problem, since Proctor U will be monitoring you throughout the exam ~ I assume you have to keep the screen up the entire time so they can see your face. They must be able to see from your "forehead to chin" the entire time, my Proctor emphasized that during my last exam when I was adjusting my laptop screen.

• 284 karma

My view: EMBRACE! There are a lot of advantages for test takers when we use the digital format. For example, we save probably around 1-2 mins for bubbling. Spread those 1-2 mins throughout 4 sections, huge advantage! Find the positives and trust your ability to adapt and change habits! > @mboster007 said:

Throughout school I took tests with pen and paper, so all of my testing strategy habits utilize pen and paper (crossing ACs out, putting dots next to an AC I think is correct but I don't want to commit to yet, etc). I have been working to transfer these strategies to the virtual format, but I reeeaally don't like having to take the LSAT with a computer. It's not super easy to do after using pen and paper for K-12 standard tests and all of undergrad. I feel like I have to relearn habits which were mechanic before, and it's wearing me down a bit.

Does anyone have any tips on what has been helpful for them? I have tried writing out A-E on paper, but this is a waste of time and scratch paper that I can't afford while taking a practice test. I am only 2 years out of college, so I feel like a lot of people may share this issue with me. Any advice would be appreciated!

• LegallyLSATLegallyLSAT Live Member
    161 karma

@"Preston Bigley" You're right and less room for error, in terms of bubbling, when taking the digital vs paper test. Personally, I've always been a paper and pencil kind of person, but all tests are seemingly moving digital now. I'm slowly starting to come around to liking the digital format