Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has anyone else had to take the LSAT 5 times?

emmorensemmorens Core Member
in General 1470 karma

Hi all!

I'm going on my 5th attempt at the LSAT (it's been a long and difficult journey for me!) I'd love to hear from some other people who are also in this position or were also in this position at some point. I just have a few questions!

Comments

• CSieck3507CSieck3507 Member
    1376 karma

Haven't taken it 5 times but I plan on taking it my 4th time in November and if I don't get my goal score I will take it again in January or a later date if I am not ready. Best advice is to make sure that you are hitting an avg of your goal score heading into the test. If you are not, it would better to wait it out and take the test when you are fully ready. No need to take the LSAT just to take it because your ego is saying, "I know I can get this score" even though in reality you know you are not ready.

• emmorensemmorens Core Member
    1470 karma

@CSieck3507 thanks for this energy :) you're totally right, better to wait until I'm fully ready! Good thing I still have time to pull out of October. Best of luck to you!

• HopefullyHLSHopefullyHLS Member
    edited September 2021 445 karma

I haven‘t been in that position (I‘m writing it for the 2nd time) but my advice would be not to waste too many attempts, since I believe you are only allowed to take it 7 times over a lifetime (May, June, July and August 2020 LSAT Flex don’t count).

Good luck!

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8313 karma

7 here.

• lizzogonzolizzogonzo Member
    628 karma

I've only written twice but I've spent 2 years studying for the exam, pushing off my exam at least 3 times throughout 2020. I'm not sure what advice you're looking for, but I always say to not rush your studying and take it only when you're absolutely ready. It was tough, and there are a lot of things I would've done differently looking back, but I'm glad I minimized the number of times I took the exam to only 2 (Feb 2021 and August 2021).

• lastLSATslastLSATs Alum Member
    edited September 2021 64 karma

6 times LSAT over a span of 5 year. went to graduate school and worked in the mean time. Now at a T6 law school and got offers from V20 law firms. You can do it and it might just take one more try. work with JY and all the wonderful tutors on 7 Sage. remember, if you think law school is the right choice, don't let an unsatisfying LSAT score discourage you. It is not a test for everyone, and it is no way a good indicator of your performance at the law school. you can still shine through during your first year even a at a lower ranking law school (and you can always transfer). Best of luck and I know you can do it!!

• Clementine-2Clementine-2 Member
    208 karma

I will be taking the exam for the 5th time in October. It is extremely frustrating to have to take it so often but I’m very determined to get the score I want no matter how long it takes. I know that law is the right career choice for me but I’m not the best at standardized exams. My advice is make every exam count. In each of my exams I went up by 4-5 points. Assess your weaknesses and destroy them.

• lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Member
    5249 karma

No, but I've been studying for several years and I have a huge tab of registered tests I then put off so I've drained a lot of cash on this thing.

• LegallyLSATLegallyLSAT Live Member
    edited September 2021 161 karma

Not five times, but I’ve taken it at least 3 times. First time as a starting indicator after I took a prep course, second time, I rushed and wasn’t ready and regret It.

The advice I’d give is take it when you’re read and I’m living by that this time around. I keep pushing my test back and although family members keep asking the most annoying question of all (When are you going to take the test/get into law school?) one day they’ll understand why I did what I did.

I was going to take the test in November, but I don’t think that’s realistic as I still have more studying to do and I’ll need to gauge what my scores on the prep tests will be. I am saving the prep tests for the end until I learn all the material.

I’m taking new approaches than I did last time and I genuinely believe this course will help me get in. You can do it! Go at your own speed and don’t doubt yourself.

• cpeaks13cpeaks13 Core Member
    496 karma

@HopefullyHLS what about the November and Jan flex? why is it just those ones?

• lsat2016lsat2016 Free Trial Member
    edited September 2021 488 karma

@ op

I took 5 times as I needed 170+. I shouldn't have taken first 2 times in hindsight.

It was during paper test days.

• aatakyi-1aatakyi-1 Member
    12 karma

I will be taking the LSAT for the 5th time in November and I am hoping to reach my target score and I have improved each time.

• emmorensemmorens Core Member
    1470 karma

@aatakyi-1 I will be going doing the same thing - glad to know I'm not alone!