Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Struggling with RC Inference Questions

So I've been struggling with reading comp... my first diagnostic I got around 8/27... after practicing for awhile I was able to inconsistently get a few points higher. I have now started reading actively and I find this is helping a ton. I'm up to 17/27, but the question types I am now struggling with are inference. Anything that requires me to infer something from the passage I can't seem to wrap my head around. I've never been a strong reader and RC has been a challenge to improve on. Just wondering if anyone has any advice for inference questions, or RC in general.

Comments

• 476 karma

Hello @RachelZane-180

First off, that's some impressive improvement! One advice I found from The Loophole book is to ask if each potential answer is provable. A provable answer is completely supported by the passage and you can reference back to check it. Each answer for RC is a provable answer, so even if the question asks us to infer, you can often find support for it in the passage. Sometimes the answer is found by joining sets of information or by assessing assumptions. A good question to ask is, "can I be certain there is something in the passage that can support this answer choice?"

You can also use the system that is shown in the explanation videos that shows the differences between most strongly supported and inference.

• 476 karma

Treat it like you would a "Must Be True" question in LR

• edited September 2021 571 karma

Some great advice I heard is that the AC will never be explicitly stated in the passage. That is because it is inferred, not stated directly. Most of the time, people seem to be attracted to the explicitly stated ACs because they are quickly identifiable.

If they said in a passage that 2+2 is too many numbers, we know 4 is too many numbers.

• WinningHereWinningHere Member
    417 karma

Definitely inferential and not explicity stated. I try to watch out for superfluous language - they try to slip in strong, erroneous language into what otherwise seems a contender answer choice. Look carefully.