Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Using Addenda Section as Diversity Statement

A few of the schools I am applying to only accept a personal statement and an addendum. Can I use the section for the addendum as my diversity statement? My personal statement focuses more on a specific work experience so I'd like to include other aspects of who I am through another essay. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• galacticgalactic Yearly Member
    690 karma

Can you let me know what, if any, instructions are provided in their addendum sections?

• @"galactic law" said:
    Can you let me know what, if any, instructions are provided in their addendum sections?

It simply says "This section is optional. Other addenda can be attached here, if desired."

• @"Give Me the Formuoli" said:

@"galactic law" said:

It simply says "This section is optional. Other addenda can be attached here, if desired."

It seems like they're leaving the door open for you to attach your diversity statement as an "other" document. Diversity statements are commonplace in the admissions process, so I would be shocked if they were to become flabbergasted upon reviewing your app.

• galacticgalactic Yearly Member
    edited September 2021 690 karma

K if that's the only instructions they provide, then I would just send a professional email to their admissions office asking if you can provide a diversity statement in your addenda. I think it's a safe bet to say they wouldn't mind at all answering this question for ya. I just asked about the instructions because what you want to avoid at all cost is asking an admissions office a question that can be answered in their instructions or on their website. In this case, I recommend the professional email asking the question because addenda are typically thought of as other things - character/fitness, GPA, LSAT, resume gaps, etc. Does that make sense? Hope this helps.