Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I cancel my score? First time test taker: 162, 82nd Percentile

yeasm22syeasm22s Member
in General 217 karma

Disappointed with score from Aug test, scored 10 points lower than PT average and depleted all recent PTs from 60-89. Just for some context: my cumulation upga is 3.7 (poli sci & econ double majors) from a liberal arts school and am currently getting a master's in ed policy from a top school and have 4 years of professional experience in international development, law, research work. I am trying to apply to t-14 schools. Would you recommend cancelling this score through the score preview option for first time test takers? Also went through a lot of life-altering events in the past couples of months - death and divorce in the family and minimal support system+ mental health issues so I am happy to be able to take the test for the first time amidst all that. Not complaining about getting a 162, I started with a 142 and English is my third language, so I made progress. Just trying to figure out what next possible steps should be if I am trying to apply to t-14 schools. I want to do international human rights law so schools with international recognition and good human rights law clinics are important for me. I am lost, also sad, so any recommendations from the amazing community here is appreciated.

Comments

• yeasm22syeasm22s Member
    217 karma

also my ugpa is below medians for all schools I am looking at

• andrew.rsnandrew.rsn Alum Member
    831 karma

In my opinion, you definitely should not cancel your 162. There is no shame is retaking the test if you are not satisfied. If you retake and score a 170+, and explain in an addendum that your first score doesn't reflect your ability based on practice tests, you will be just fine.

• lizzogonzolizzogonzo Member
    edited September 2021 628 karma

Unless you have some compelling reason to cancel such a high score, I don't think you should. And "it's not my target score" is not a compelling enough reason. I say this as someone who got a 162 in their first sitting too earlier this year (I also had a lot going on when I was taking my first test so I relate). It sounds like you just need a retake.

• BooheredBoohered Member
    56 karma

I can't say that I know much about this, but I would say that having a lower score on your record won't kill you at all. Speculating: I think that the only reason past scores would matter is if they were used to measure your competence because other measures of competence were lacking from the application. This doesn't seem to be the case with you, so I would guess that having a score that is good enough for the school would be totally sufficient.

Also, I hear you on the score dropping: I personally was PTing in the same area as you and I got a 162. I was confused, still am. I have heard a lot of people I know had a similar experience with this test though, some have said this test was unusually hard, but who knows. Just know you're not alone! Try again!