Can someone explain PT1.S3.Q23 and PT1.S4.Q8

sydney59sydney59 Core Member
edited September 2021 in Logical Reasoning 66 karma

On Q23: I almost picked C then changed it to E. (answer is C)
On 8: I have no idea.. (answer is C)

Comments

• Nomads PoemNomads Poem Alum Member
    89 karma

For PT1.S3.Q23, the argument says BECAUSE 62% of those who returned the survey said yes, we should switch to the new format.

At this point, we don't really know how representative those 62% of responses may be. You want to be clear of WHAT you want to be representative of. The survey was used to increase readership, so you want the answer to represent the potential reader population. In addition,
    How many people were surveyed to begin with? and how many returned it? These are important factors for us to consider when deciding how useful this survey answer is.

(C) is just an extra way of saying the survey was representative, which is exactly what you want.
    Personally I was tripped up by (A) but it still fails to consider that those who were surveyed were representative to begin with. What if only 10 people were surveyed? and there are a million potential readers? that's not very representative.

(E) I'm not even entirely sure what this answer choice is saying, but it's like fancily describing the kind of people who returned the survey. But we don't care about that.

For PT1.S4.Q8, it hinges on your ability to pick up on the nuances in the stimulus.
    If someone has misinterpreted something the other side has said, they will use that word in a different meaning so you want to be sensitive to what word/phrase changes meaning in the stimulus as you're reading.
    Having done that, it should be clear that only (C) would make sense. The "OUR" that Mary Simms refers to is her advertising company where as Jack Jordan uses "OUR" to refer to the Baysville community in general.

• leoxnardxleoxnardx Member
    82 karma

I think the key to the question is "increase readership." Who are these readers? Are these current readers? No these are potential readers that are not currently sub to the journal, and the change in format is trying to get these potential readers on broad. Well, the 62% who agree with the format change are the current users who like the journal in the first place, and they would largely favor whatever kind of format change.

Does this number represent what the potential readers want, the readers that the format change is intended for? Might or might not, and this is what answer C catches. It bridges the gap between the current users who are surveyed, the 62%, and the potential readers whom this format change really targets. If we know that the potential readers would appreciate the format change as much as the current 62% of readers do, we can reach the conclusion that the format change should be adopted. C states that the 62% rate will be consistent in the potential readerships, making the choice of adopting the format change much stronger. Is it 100% that the format change should be adopted? Fuck no, but who cares? as long as we make the argument better, and C is the one that does that.

For answer A, the one I chose, I fell for the trap. A is implying that the survey is representative of the ideas of the readers, and yes we get that from "90% actually returned the survey," but it lacks the bridge we need to state that the POTENTIAL readers will also like the format change. Quite simply, we don't really care if the current readers like the format change; the sole purpose here is to increase readership. Comparing to C, A lures us into the attempt of making the irrelevant "representativeness" of the 62% stronger

• LogicGamerLogicGamer Core Member
    edited October 2021 20 karma

PT 1.S3.Q23.
    A bit of an odd question stem. Stem is asking what is the best evidence that the journal's decision will have desired effect? Desired effect is the increase in readership for the medical journal. The journal's decision is to introduce a new format based upon a questionnaire. I think this clears up the stem confusion that may happen when coming across a question like this.

Before we head into the answer choices, let's remind ourselves that we are looking for an answer choice that supports the fact that introduction of a new format will result an increase in readership. This can be our implied conclusion from the info gathered in the stem and the stimulus. Okay, let's go.

A) okay so 90% of the readers returned the questionnaire. But how does this support the fact that the new format will increase readership? This makes no impact to the conclusion.
    B ) This is irrelevant. We are not concerned with other journals.
    C) Exactly. This provides some support to the fact that the introduction of the new format will result in an increase in readership. Since the % of people who like the format change are almost same as the % of potential readership who want the format to change, then it is likely that the introduction of the new format will result in an increase readership. For example, if 65% of people like the format change and 63% of potential readership want the format change, then it is likely that introducing a format change will result in an increase in readership.
    D) This is irrelevant information. We are not concerned with cost.
    E) This does not provide support to the fact that introduction of new format will result in increase readership. This answer choice is concerned with readers who were dissatisfied and satisfied with the old format and how many of them returned their questionnaires. But remember, we want to support the introduction of the new format which results in increase readership. This answer choice does nothing.

PT1. S4.Q08
    A bit of an odd stem again but I am sure these types of question do repeat on other PTs. Just not sure about the frequency of these type of questions. Anyways, the question stem tells us Jack Jordan has misinterpreted something by Mary Simms. We want to know what Jack Jordan said and what Mary Simms said and then figure out the disconnect between the two.
    So, we know Mary concludes Billboards are the basis of our business (outdoor advertising companies). Jack says the attractive community is the basis of our business (local merchants). Jack misinterprets "our" because he thinks that Mary is including his business when she concludes Billboards are the basis of our business. However, she is using "our" to describe the businesses of outdoor advertising companies.

A) Not misinterpreted. Similar usage for both.
    B ) Not misinterpreted. Similar usage for both.
    C) Jack misinterprets this.
    D) Not misinterpreted. Similar usage for both.
    E) Does not misinterpret damaged.

Let me know what you think.