Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Admissions and the best time to apply

Hannak0403Hannak0403 Core Member
edited September 2021 in Law School Admissions 5 karma

I'm planning on taking the LSAT in January. Will it be too late to apply for Fall 2022? I know most schools do rolling admissions. If I apply to one program and don't get a spot will it lower my chances if I reapply (early admissions) for the following year fall 2023?
Thank you!!

Comments

• fatimahbajaha23fatimahbajaha23 Core Member
    117 karma

This is the same both I am in. I don't know what do but I also don't want to sit out for a whole year. There are some schools where the dead line is later on in the year.

• Jahn.SnowJahn.Snow Member
    316 karma

In past years, the rule of thumb has been the earlier you apply the better your chances, and the same could be true for this upcoming cycle (though I've heard theories they might hold out on offers early on to get a better sense of the applicant pool so schools can keep their new medians- I read this from another 7sager though so it is not confirmed, but an interesting theory). It also varies based on school (how their app process is run- for example YLS has a unique process) and who the other applicants are at any given point.

I think the best approach is to study as productively as you can and score the best you can in whichever administration you take. If you can get a score in January that is at/ above the median of whichever school you're trying to apply to, I don't see why you wouldn't have a decent chance (especially if everything else in your app is solid as well). However, it is important to note that though you may gain admission, scholarship money may be a bit more limited the later you apply.

Also, if you apply and don't get in, that does not affect your chances if you reapply. Multiple adcomms, from many top schools, have confirmed this. All they see on your app is a note saying you are a re-applicant, but they don't view that negatively and do not have the practice of looking at your previous app. Do the best you can in Jan- worst case you keep studying and get a top score to apply with early next year :)

• t_steelet_steele Member
    edited September 2021 4 karma

I might be able to help! I was in the same boat last cycle. Couple of things to think about:

When taking the LSAT later in the application cycle there is some risk. Mainly, if you get a score you don't love, you don't have time to re-take the test and apply same cycle. If you love your score it won't be too late to apply, it'll just be less likely you'll get in and less likely you'll get scholarships. As Jahn.Snow (lol) said above me, that also varies from school to school. Some schools are weird.

Most importantly, everything I've read & seen says there is no harm in applying more than once, as long as the admissions committee sees that you improved in the time between applications. Whether that be through a good internship, better grades, a better LSAT, whatever it may be, they just want to see improvement if you reapply.

When you actually start applying, it's literally just a couple of boxes that you have to check yes or no on. "Did you apply to ___ before?" "If so, were you offered admission to ___." There's no additional essay, and they don't take you saying yes to these negatively in any way.

Personally, I sat out a year and I firmly believe it was the best choice for me. I got an awesome internship in estate & tax law, improved my LSAT score by 10, and just sent out my final application 14 days after the cycle started.

Also one final note. You mentioned "schools" and "early admissions" in your question, and I recommend looking into that further because I didn't and it is not at all what I thought it was. You don't get to put your name into multiple schools' "early decision "programs. You essentially get to pick ONE school that you REALLY want to go to, and then sign a contract saying that if they let you in, you have to accept and you must withdraw all other applications. You obviously can't pick more than one, but you can pick none and not do early decision at all. You just need to be very careful and make the right choice because breach of contract is not how you want to start your legal career.