Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I finish the CC before starting PTs?

in General 206 karma

Hey everyone,

I am thinking of taking the LSAT around June or August. I am aiming to apply for the cycle after the current one (Fall 2023 I am guessing .... correct me if I am wrong please... I am still figuring it out). Basically, I am sending out my applications a year from now (end of 2022).

I need to hit a 170 and have been studying 6 days a week. I started with a score of 143 about 2 years ago... Couldn't study since then because of school and I am finally focused on the LSAT. It's become my main focus.

I was wondering if I should do PTs about once or twice a week until I am done with the CC or wait till I get through the whole CC before I move to PTs.

I am really worried that i'll spend 1-2 months on the CC and then find that my score is not improving due to not practicing enough.

Also, with the time I have to study (about 9ish months): is it reasonable to hope to hit a 170+?

If anyone can share their experiences it would be really appreciated

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Pretzel LogicPretzel Logic Member
    edited September 2021 227 karma

I started doing once-per-week PTs when I hit around 30% of CC. My routine is PT and blind review all weekend and CC on week days. While I rely on both, doing PTs has helped in ways the CC cannot.

• 206 karma

@"Pretzel Logic" That sounds like a great way of doing it. I will do that.

Can I ask how long it took you to get to 30% of the CC?

• bbbiqbalbbbiqbal Core Member
    26 karma

I finished the Logical Reasoning portion of the CC before attempting the PTs just so I would have an understanding of the different question types. I am now completing the PTs, blind reviewing and starting to focus on the specific question types that I struggle with. Getting through the CC took me a few months but I found it beneficial, I was really scared of doing the PTs while completing the CC because I didn't want to run out of PTs. I don't think you'll have a problem with your score not improving.

• I was also completing one PT per week. It really helped me see how I improved with each question type throughout the CC, and for me it was helpful. I feel like I can look at question types more adequately now to see my strengths and weaknesses and try to improve with timing and answering the question in general. It took me some time to get through the CC because I was also working full-time maybe 2-3 months to finish (I don't remember the time frame tbh). Something I can say is that you realize how alike all the questions are throughout these PT and completing one PT per week helped (in my personal opinion haha)! Good Luck!

• Pretzel LogicPretzel Logic Member
    227 karma

@LSATstudyperson said:

Yeah, about 2 months but it's full time for me. Honestly just dive in, try different strategies and you'll grow. Really it comes down to you putting the work in every day. For me, struggling over those first 2-3 PTs before getting the hang of it has helped me immensely. Every 10 days can also be helpful to make sure you're getting good CC work in between,

• 206 karma

@bbbiqbal I have the same worry. I don't want to waste too many PTs and it be too late when I realize what I had done, but I also don't want to spend 3 months doing the CC and then not see a score increase. I worry that that might crush my spirit and motivation to keep studying. I guess finding a balance is not easy.

ALso the CC is taking me ages. I think I am spending too much time noting everything down.... :(

I will be trying to focus more on just noting down main concepts. Rather than worrying I will miss a tiny piece of info

• 206 karma

@SharleenTakesLSAT said:
    I was also completing one PT per week. It really helped me see how I improved with each question type throughout the CC, and for me it was helpful. I feel like I can look at question types more adequately now to see my strengths and weaknesses and try to improve with timing and answering the question in general. It took me some time to get through the CC because I was also working full-time maybe 2-3 months to finish (I don't remember the time frame tbh). Something I can say is that you realize how alike all the questions are throughout these PT and completing one PT per week helped (in my personal opinion haha)! Good Luck!

I am also working full time. I find that the CC is taking me forever to get through.

How long does it usually take you to go through a lesson if you don't mind me asking

• 206 karma

@"Pretzel Logic" said:

@LSATstudyperson said:

Yeah, about 2 months but it's full time for me. Honestly just dive in, try different strategies and you'll grow. Really it comes down to you putting the work in every day. For me, struggling over those first 2-3 PTs before getting the hang of it has helped me immensely. Every 10 days can also be helpful to make sure you're getting good CC work in between,

I think every 10 days might be better than weekly. Until I cant hit 40-50% of the CC.

I am thinking of finishing the CC for LR then doing timed sections instead of jumping into full PTs