PT83.S1.Q13 - Songwriters get much of the money they earn

EveryCookCanGovernEveryCookCanGovern Alum Member
edited March 2020 in Logical Reasoning 401 karma

Isn’t there an assumption w/ C? That the songs they were asked to write for movie soundtracks were written for those movie soundtracks? If I’m a movie producer and I ask a hit song writer to write a song for a movie sound track and they say no and write it instead for radio, how does that imply that the song was written for a movie soundtrack? Why is “Such songs” taken to reference “songs written for movie soundtracks” rather than referencing “those songs that movie producers (or whoever asks) asked writers to make for movie sound tracks,” because where the former implies they were written for movies, the latter does not.

They sometimes decline, because although “songs written for movie soundtracks” frequently become hits, their writers receive single up front payments rather than continued revenues from airplay.

Versus

They sometimes decline, because although “songs which movie producers asked hit song writers to write” frequently become hits, their writers receive single up front payments rather than continued revenues from airplay.

The latter example opens up the scenario that a movie producer could of asked a hit song writer to write a song for a movie sound track. The writer could reject the offer and write it instead for radio. In this case the song was never written for a movie soundtrack to begin.

It’s a small and reasonable assumption but it felt strange making in a MBT, I would of expected it to be reasonable in a MSS.

Admin note: edited title; please use the format of "PT#.S#.Q# - [brief description]"
Admin note: https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-83-section-1-question-13/

Comments

• EddieMEddieM Alum Member
    edited March 2020 279 karma

I think the key lies in here:

Why is “Such songs” taken to reference “songs written for movie soundtracks” rather than referencing “those songs that movie producers (or whoever asks) asked writers to make for movie sound tracks,” because where the former implies they were written for movies, the latter does not.

I think we know that "such songs" has to be referring to songs written for movie soundtracks because of what comes next: "...their writers receive single up-front payments rather than continued revenues from radio airplay." That statement can't be about hit songs in general (which is what it'd have to mean, I think, if it were simply referring to those songs movie producers wanted, regardless of whether or not they got them) because we learned at the beginning of the stimulus that normally, hit songs are played thousands of times and the songwriter is paid for each play.

Rather, it has to be about songs that are written for movies. We're told that hit songwriters sometimes decline to write for movies because of something. The reason they don't accept movie contracts is because the way in which they're paid for such contracts differs from how they're normally paid for hit songs.

• 211 karma

How is it fair to use context on a MBT

I would see that possible on MSS but not when it has to be airtight