Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Character and Fitness Question

Have you ever been arrested, cited or ticketed, charged with, convicted of, placed on deferred adjudication, or pled guilty or pled nolo contendere (no contest) to any violation or criminal offense other than a minor traffic violation? (Note: You must report any failure to appear resulting from any offense, including a minor traffic offense, any failure to maintain financial responsibility (legally required auto insurance), any attempt, whether successful or not, to suspend or revoke your driver's license.) Adults who have been charged with a crime and who accept Deferred Adjudication must report such information under this question because the concept of Deferred Adjudication involves a plea of guilty or no contest, and the offense cannot be erased from a person’s record. An applicant does not need to disclose information about a juvenile record. Further, an applicant does not need to disclose information about a criminal record that has been sealed, ordered nondisclosed, or expunged; however, it is up to each applicant to ensure that his/her offense is in fact expunged, ordered nondisclosed, and/or sealed under the relevant state law. If an applicant fails to disclose information that is not in fact expunged, ordered nondisclosed, or sealed, the applicant may be subject to disciplinary action by the University. NOTE: You must include any offenses involving drugs or alcohol as well as any failure to appear warrant, unless excused as described above.

My question is in regards to this character and fitness question stated above. I'm currently 34 years old the incident in question happened when I was 21. My roommate in college decided to throw a little party in our dorm (involving alcohol) being as how I had nowhere else to go I had to stay in the room. University PD busts the party up and essentially gives everyone a citation. I was 21 at the time so I'm given a harsher citation (contributing to minors-which was BS I didn't buy the alcohol). I lawyered up and the citation was rightfully dismissed. Can I click "NO" for this question? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• JMPlaw19JMPlaw19 Member
    144 karma

Still good to disclose usually, schools care way less than the actual BAR association, which will look at all previous records included expunged incidents etc. This happened so long ago and was so minor, that it pretty much does not affect you at all in any circumstance as long as you just quickly take accountability.

• Jahn.SnowJahn.Snow Member
    316 karma

I agree with JMPlaw19- disclosing is highly unlikely to affect your app but if the Bar finds it later and you didn't disclose, that could call your character into question which could cause issues for when you apply for bar admission. Basically, odds of it hurting you now if you disclose are low, odds of it hurting you later when you didn't disclose and they find out are much bigger.

• 43 karma

"Have you ever been arrested, cited or ticketed, charged with, convicted of, placed on deferred adjudication, or pled guilty or pled nolo contendere (no contest) to any violation or criminal offense other than a minor traffic violation? "

You were cited, and it was later dismissed. Think of it as you were charged with a crime, but not convicted. You will need to disclose. Definitely don't sweat it. I know plenty of people who have gotten similar tickets and are now attorneys as well as people who have done way worse things who are now attorneys.