Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

146 —> 180 (Thank you 7sage!) Very tired Mom edition

2»

Comments

• phosita_phoeatahphosita_phoeatah Yearly Member
    238 karma

@ME_V_LSAT , thanks for taking the time to share your experience. I have a clarification question re: your approach to LG above, specifically items 5 & 6.

One is that do you actively scan the questions (as in flip forward) when locating the type of questions mentioned in item 5? I sometimes skip forward when the stem essentially demands finding the one choice that is false, but I don't actively scan forward.

And the second is whether your advice in item 5 would also apply to stems that adds a premise and asks for what could be true (as opposed to must be true).

• ME_V_LSATME_V_LSAT Member
    edited September 2021 1532 karma

@phosita_phoeatah great questions!

I recommend doing whatever helps you work through games most efficiently. I prioritize the question types I think are easier, then do the harder ones. I find that doing the easier questions first helps me build out scenarios further and those scenarios can be used to eliminate a lot of the answer choices on the harder questions.

To answer your questions:
    1. I actively scan the questions to identify those that are MBT and introduce a new piece of information (an additional constriction to the scenario) and then answer those first. If it introduces new information, but then requires you find the one choice that is false, obviously that would take longer, so I save those for later.)
    2. in item 6, I reference CBT questions (so those that introduce a new scenario but then ask CBT would apply). MBF would also fall under this category because it will require you to test more scenarios.

• 14 karma

Thank you for the detailed information. What is the best strategy in your opinion in reading the RC passages? Thanks 😊

• phosita_phoeatahphosita_phoeatah Yearly Member
    238 karma

@ME_V_LSAT, many thanks for taking the time to clarify (your already very helpful) advice.

1532 karma

My pleasure!! @phosita_phoeatah lmk if you have any other questions.

• laurennnnlaurennnn Member
    86 karma

God bless u, truly. I'm studying while working full time, taking care of a sick parent, and prepping a book for publication (final draft due to the academic press 2 weeks post-LSAT). It's encouraging to hear of other people in similar situations!

1532 karma

@laurennnn you're amazing! Cheers to you! good luck with the LSAT and book publication :)

• 66_Umair_5566_Umair_55 Member
    73 karma

Wow...Amazing Journey... Congratulations!!! (you've probably heard this like 100 times at this point ;p )
    Your post totally made my day. And I'm not trying to score anywhere near a 180...lol

What you said about separating yourself from the score itself was so profound. I'm not even sure I fully grasped the magnitude when I first read it. I was thinking the whole objective was to try to get a larger # than my previous PT...lol

btw...I may hit you up in the future for some guidance.
    Thank you.

• valeriehevaleriehe Member
    148 karma

this post gives me life! Thank you so so much for sharing

• andDoGoodandDoGood Core Member
    8 karma

You're amazing. Bravo and well done.

@LSATstudyperson @rosegirl22

By popular request, this is how I approached the core curriculum.

Context: if you saw my original post, I tried a bunch of different programs before coming to 7sage so I had a foundation in the exam and was scoring in the 150s on PTs. So in re-attacking exam, I let go of some ineffective strategies and habituated effective strategies.

Mindset + Step-By-Step Strategy Guides: I was focused on being as precise as possible. As I went through the strategy for each question type, I wrote down the numbered steps of each strategies because my brain responds best to that. I thought of my brain like a computer and I needed to upload a new program, then run it to identify any bugs along the way. I needed a reference document where I compiled all of my step-by-step strategies for each question and type, so that I could refer to it easily and it helped me readily identify any missteps or "bugs" along the way. for example
    weakening question:
    1. Identify conclusion
    2. Identify the primary premise
    3. Prephrase the assumption… etc.

That way, when I would get a particular question wrong, I reviewed the strategy and identify where my misstep was. I needed this level of precision and analysis to make significant improvements and improve my efficiency. This process took all the mystery out of the exam. There were clearly wrong answers and right answers and no one question type was less precise than another. Each had a specific strategy and 1 correct answer.

Overall approach to CC: Once I started 7sage, I spent 4 months mastering strategies for LR (2.5 months), LG (3 weeks), and RC (3 weeks). For each section, I focused on accuracy THEN timing. For LR, I mastered each question type before moving on to the next. For LG, I focused on ensuring I had a step-by-step strategy for sequencing, grouping, and in-and-out games, For RC, I developed a reading strategy that worked for me and different strategies for each of the question types (a lot of them were almost identical to the same question types on LR).

This was my approach to LR:

Step 1: Learn the strategy for each question type. I the solidified my understanding of the strategy for each question type. I created a document with my step by step process for each question type, which I refined and added to as I did practice questions. If a particular strategy didn't work for me, I abandoned it.

2. Untimed practice for accuracy: I practiced 15-75 questions per question type and focus on accuracy. I would master the strategy (ensuring I was scoring 93% accuracy at least on each question type). I noted questions I got wrong to see if I needed to modify my strategy at all to ensure I didn’t make the same mistake again.

3. Timed practice: Once my accuracy was near perfect, I would put myself under timed pressure. I did timed groups of 3 questions of a single type. If my timing was slow, I would identify any inefficiencies in my process, then try another set of 3 questions. Small tweaks here and there really helped me improve my timing.

1 month out I started PTing. I did 1 full test on the weekend under timed conditions and 4 time sections during the work week. This totaled 10 exams in that month. I’ll do another post describing how I reviewed each PT. My first exam I scored a 168 and then I was scoring in the high 170s. I will do another post on how I reviewed PTs.

I hope this helps! Focusing on accuracy then timing and having clear step-by-step strategies were instrumental in getting a 180 on test day.

1532 karma

@66_Umair_55 @valeriehe @andDoGood thank you all for the kind and encouraging words. I can't get enough of it!!!

• Tiffany H.Tiffany H. Member
    19 karma

Would you be willing to share your document with step by step processes?

• oliver_oceanoliver_ocean Member
    36 karma

What an inspiring and amazing story. Thanks for Sharing ! I would also love to see your document if you would be willing to share it.

• jiaijaz110jiaijaz110 Member
    61 karma

you are a true force! i am so happy for you :-) reading this gave me the serotonin boost i needed!

• BadReasoning2022BadReasoning2022 Alum Member
    110 karma

Congratulations on the final victory! What a beautiful protracted and disciplined war plan! Happy mid-autumn festival!🥮

• Ash AsanteAsh Asante Member
    3 karma

Thank you so much for sharing @ME_V_LSAT and congratulations on the victory. Your story is just the motivation I needed.

• jamw881619jamw881619 Member
    42 karma

Congrats @ME_VS_LSAT that is truly a remarkable feat to conquer! I'm especially grateful that you included motherhood and balance in your post! I have 2 kids and 1 on the way and I just seem to have more discouraging times lately. So thank you and congrats again!

Would you be willing to share your created document with step by step process for each question type?

• riverLetheriverLethe Member
    43 karma

@ME_V_LSAT You mentioned that you had both good and bad experiences with private tutoring. Where were you looking/who did you hire? I am thinking of trying to find one, and want to know how to find one that will be helpful. Thank you and congratulations!

• Alon DasaAlon Dasa Member
    134 karma

Who was your effective tutor ????????

• rix.ryskamprix.ryskamp Core Member
    24 karma

@ME_V_LSAT You are an amazing inspiration! Congratulations! I have six kids, so I know the struggle. I am not sure that I can duplicate your progress, but I hope to get close! Thank you for taking the time to share. I really enjoyed your RC tips. I am trying to get from -2/-3 to -0.

• 65 karma

Hi @ME_V_LSAT : Great job! Thank you so much for the inspiration. I love how you said you are your child were doing it together. I'm sure she would be very very proud of you.

I have some questions for you :)

I was a bit surprised to hear that you didn't come close to finish all PT. Did you redo previous PTs you did? It sounds like you prioritize the later PTs (80s)? Did you drill? How did you refine your strategy for each question type?

Could you also walk us through ineffective tutoring vs. effective tutoring? What made you realize the earlier tutoring was ineffective to switch to effective tutoring?

Finally, I wonder if it's possible to get accommodation for being pregnant.

Thank you so very much!

Update: Good-bye for now 7sage! Thank you all for the love and support! I'm grateful for the opportunity to help my fellow 7sagers by sharing key strategies that helped me along the way (see the comments for guides that I posted!) I am shooting to get my APPS DONE in the next few weeks before my daughter is born, so wish me luck :) I may be back to responding to messages in November after I've applied.

In the comments, I added tips around each of the following topics:
    - My study schedule
    - Some thoughts around balancing work, parenthood, and LSAT studying
    - My 15 favorite books that I read while I was studying: https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/30299/15-books-to-read-while-studying-from-a-180-scorer
    - A few RC strategy tips that helped me go from -6 to perfect on RC sections (it's possible!)
    - My logic games strategies
    - My approach to the Core Curriculum + Mastering LR

• @"Juliet --Student Service--" said:
    @ME_V_LSAT Congratulations!

I hope JY interviews her for the podcast!

• priyarosaliapriyarosalia Member
    26 karma

You're incredible- I loved reading this beautiful post! Congratulations on your 180, and the upcoming birth of your daughter! I'm going to try your methods-the 45 minute sprint study time sounds doable and effective. So happy for you, and I'm looking forward to reading more posts about your law school journey :-)

• ShuttahgawdShuttahgawd Live Member
    127 karma

Thank you for this helpful information! I really appreciate you sharing this!

• thaeadeilamithaeadeilami Core Member
    4 karma

This was a very interesting approach! Thank you for sharing!

• CorgiCanLSATCorgiCanLSAT Member
    60 karma

@ME_V_LSAT said:
    @LSATstudyperson @rosegirl22

By popular request, this is how I approached the core curriculum.

Context: if you saw my original post, I tried a bunch of different programs before coming to 7sage so I had a foundation in the exam and was scoring in the 150s on PTs. So in re-attacking exam, I let go of some ineffective strategies and habituated effective strategies.

Mindset + Step-By-Step Strategy Guides: I was focused on being as precise as possible. As I went through the strategy for each question type, I wrote down the numbered steps of each strategies because my brain responds best to that. I thought of my brain like a computer and I needed to upload a new program, then run it to identify any bugs along the way. I needed a reference document where I compiled all of my step-by-step strategies for each question and type, so that I could refer to it easily and it helped me readily identify any missteps or "bugs" along the way. for example
    weakening question:
    1. Identify conclusion
    2. Identify the primary premise
    3. Prephrase the assumption… etc.

That way, when I would get a particular question wrong, I reviewed the strategy and identify where my misstep was. I needed this level of precision and analysis to make significant improvements and improve my efficiency. This process took all the mystery out of the exam. There were clearly wrong answers and right answers and no one question type was less precise than another. Each had a specific strategy and 1 correct answer.

Overall approach to CC: Once I started 7sage, I spent 4 months mastering strategies for LR (2.5 months), LG (3 weeks), and RC (3 weeks). For each section, I focused on accuracy THEN timing. For LR, I mastered each question type before moving on to the next. For LG, I focused on ensuring I had a step-by-step strategy for sequencing, grouping, and in-and-out games, For RC, I developed a reading strategy that worked for me and different strategies for each of the question types (a lot of them were almost identical to the same question types on LR).

This was my approach to LR:

Step 1: Learn the strategy for each question type. I the solidified my understanding of the strategy for each question type. I created a document with my step by step process for each question type, which I refined and added to as I did practice questions. If a particular strategy didn't work for me, I abandoned it.

2. Untimed practice for accuracy: I practiced 15-75 questions per question type and focus on accuracy. I would master the strategy (ensuring I was scoring 93% accuracy at least on each question type). I noted questions I got wrong to see if I needed to modify my strategy at all to ensure I didn’t make the same mistake again.

3. Timed practice: Once my accuracy was near perfect, I would put myself under timed pressure. I did timed groups of 3 questions of a single type. If my timing was slow, I would identify any inefficiencies in my process, then try another set of 3 questions. Small tweaks here and there really helped me improve my timing.

1 month out I started PTing. I did 1 full test on the weekend under timed conditions and 4 time sections during the work week. This totaled 10 exams in that month. I’ll do another post describing how I reviewed each PT. My first exam I scored a 168 and then I was scoring in the high 170s. I will do another post on how I reviewed PTs.

I hope this helps! Focusing on accuracy then timing and having clear step-by-step strategies were instrumental in getting a 180 on test day.

Thank you so much for sharing! Your podcast episode with JY was also fantastic to listen to & learn from. Do you still have an example document of your LR strategy for one or each question type? I am having a little trouble understanding the specifics of your strategy here.

• Claire123Claire123 Member
    edited December 2021 62 karma

@ME_V_LSAT This is the most useful thread ever! Any chance you can share your LR strategy?

I am taking time to BR, but feel like I am not making the necessary connections for improvement

• YaleOrFailYaleOrFail Live Member
    edited January 6 40 karma

Great thread! Bumping for my 01/24 testers.