Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Burnout?

lvillaccilvillacci Member
in General 13 karma

I was consistently in the 170-172 range for a while and with the October test just a few weeks away, I've been studying more and doing 2 PTS a day. Today I got two 164s. Bothering me that these lower scores are consistent and that on review I'm seeing that I made stupid mistakes. Any advice on how to deal with this?

Comments

• giulia.pinesgiulia.pines Member
    466 karma

That's amazing! What is your goal score? I would slow down because everything I've read here points to taking 1 PT, doing BR the next day, then resting and repeating. I think 2 PTs would just about kill my brain!

• galacticgalactic Yearly Member
    edited September 2021 690 karma

OK so 1st I would stop taking 2 PTs a day and never do this again.

Next I would take a few days off.

Next I would reflect a little bit before recommencing your studies, asking yourself:

• Why is it that I am making the same mistakes? What can I do to fix this?

• Am I getting the very most out of my Blind Review sessions?

• Am I keeping a Wrong Answer Journal (good example found in Loophole) that I review every day before studying to ensure I don't make the same mistakes?

Do you think any of that would help you out? If not, let me know and I can think of some other things.

• lvillaccilvillacci Member
    13 karma

@"giulia.pines" said:
    That's amazing! What is your goal score? I would slow down because everything I've read here points to taking 1 PT, doing BR the next day, then resting and repeating. I think 2 PTs would just about kill my brain!

I'm hoping to get 170+ on the actual test, which is why I'm worried about the score decrease only a few weeks out!

• lvillaccilvillacci Member
    13 karma

@"galactic law" said:

Next I would reflect a little bit before recommencing your studies, asking yourself:

• Am I keeping a Wrong Answer Journal (good example found in Loophole) that I review every day before studying to ensure I don't make the same mistakes?

Do you think any of that would help you out? If not, let me know and I can think of some other things.

Think those are some good tips, thank you. I haven't been keeping a wrong answer journal, I've been using the analytics feature here for wrong answers and review. I think going forward I'm going to do 1 PT a day and BR, try to cut down the stress a bit and see if that helps.

• galacticgalactic Yearly Member
    edited September 2021 690 karma

@lvillacci said:

@"galactic law" said:

Think those are some good tips, thank you. I haven't been keeping a wrong answer journal, I've been using the analytics feature here for wrong answers and review. I think going forward I'm going to do 1 PT a day and BR, try to cut down the stress a bit and see if that helps.

I think 1 PT a day is still too much amigo... At the very least consider what this is doing to your fresh PT stockpile... You're essentially stacking up all of your fresh PTs, dousing them with lighter fluid, and setting them on fire. You're going to be out of new material to practice with very soon at this rate. Y'know what I mean?

• mesposito886mesposito886 Member
    254 karma

I agree with some of the earlier comments that two PTs a day is too much. I don't think you're giving yourself nearly enough time to carefully blind review each test and really take a third look at the questions you got wrong once you get your results. You might also find that your drop in scores may be due to rushing through tests (or certain sections) in order to get the test over with. I recommend spending more time with the two tests you scored 164 on. Try to analyze where you went wrong -- it may just be due to burnout, but you may also find a pattern of the types of questions that give you trouble. Regarding the latter, I'd also recommend taking a look at the analytics section (under the LSAT Questions header).