Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does It Make Sense To Study For 19 Months Straight?

Currently debating whether or not starting 7sage now would help if I'm not planning on taking the exam until June 2023

Comments

• galacticgalactic Yearly Member
    edited September 2021 690 karma

19 months of just LSAT or do you plan on doing other things during this time?

Also have you taken a diagnostic yet and if so what did you get and what is your goal score?

• @"galactic law" said:

Also have you taken a diagnostic yet and if so what did you get and what is your goal score?

I am currently working part-time and studying a few hours a day. My Diagnostic is a 160.

• It does give you a study schedule, so it possibly would break it down to an hour or two a day. I don't think I would study everyday, but maybe a quick review of the fundamental things would do. The last thing you want to do is fee fried right before you go into taking the test, but also not feel prepared.

690 karma

@johncarymunro said:

@"galactic law" said:

I am currently working part-time and studying a few hours a day. My Diagnostic is a 160.

K what is your goal score?

• @"galactic law" said:

@johncarymunro said:

@"galactic law" said:

• tahurrrrrtahurrrrr Member
    1106 karma

PEN PEN

But 19 months is plenty of time. Just be sure to have a study schedule in place since LSAT skills require maintenance. And it's always better to give yourself more time

• nicolemyriadnicolemyriad Core Member
    16 karma

To respond directly to the title question: no, I don’t think it makes sense to study for 19 straight months.

But I do think it makes sense to start studying now.

With 19 months before your target test date, you can build a study schedule that includes weeks off and dedicated breaks to give your brain a rest.

19 months is time to gain mastery and really lock down your test strategy. Your goal is 174. That means you want to know the test—and your pacing and strategy!— really well. So you probably cannot start gaining mastery too soon.

Think of this: If you reach your target score on PTs before June 2023, you could even take the LSAT earlier and get it out of the way. You don’t necessarily have to study for those full 19 mos. Nor do you have to doggedly study straight through the 19 mos.

On the other hand, if you wait to study until next year, but it takes longer than you want to get to 174, you might delay your test date and your applications.

• clear227clear227 Core Member
    350 karma

I would definitely start studying now. You could probably get a high 170's or even 180 if you have 19 months to study, and I don't see any downside to starting early (unless you study in a way that's really unpleasant and makes you dislike the test).

Why are you waiting until June of 2023?

edited September 2021 690 karma

@johncarymunro said:

@"galactic law" said:

@johncarymunro said:

@"galactic law" said:

Alright so with this, my suggestion would be to start now or as soon as you can. It's hard to peg a timeline to achieving a 99th percentile score and you don't want to shortchange yourself by not utilizing precious time you have on your hands now. If you get to PTing in the 175+ range before June 2023 - then all the better, you can take the test earlier than you had initially planned.

Also (don't quote me on this) but I believe 2023 is the year LSAC is changing the format of the Logic Games section. Something for you to consider looking into in terms of structuring your studies if your time horizon is that long.

Hope this helps!

• mdf1960mdf1960 Free Trial Member
    54 karma

I wouldn't overdo it, but certainly you can start a light study schedule now. However, I would consider taking a real test in early 2022 to see how you do. If you are lucky, you might reach your target score and not need to retake the test.