Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LR Sections: Strenghten & Flaw

ASULaw2021ASULaw2021 Member
edited September 2021 in Logical Reasoning 12 karma

Hi everyone,

So I have been studying since May of 2020 (yikes), and originally I scored a 132 on my diagnostic and now scoring a 166-167, but I am continuing to get the SAME types of questions wrong in LR; Strengthening and Flaw.

Any tips on how to successfully attack these questions?
I have a tutor but there's only so much one person can do to help.

Also, i have dyslexia, so i tend to read things backwards, so timing becomes an issue with these question types.

Comments

• LegalityLegality Member
    280 karma

If you haven't already, see if you can get accommodations for extra timing with LSAC. Your ability to properly read the questions quickly shouldn't be what is messing with your score and you deserve to get the accommodations you need to perform on the test to the best of your ability.

• BlueRiceCakeBlueRiceCake Member
    302 karma

Have you gotten familiar with every flaw available on 7sage?

• B_star11B_star11 Member
    55 karma

A couple things that helped me outside of 7Sage for strengthen and flaw questions are:
    1. Eliminate premise booster AC's for Strengthen Q's.
    I was repeatedly getting strengthen questions wrong for a while because I would choose answers that popped out in such an obvious way. They're disguised as attractive AC's, but they do nothing to the argument itself. The gap is the key, and the AC MUST address it by either showing a supportive example, that absence of the cause-->absence of the effect, that there are no additional factors that could alter the results, or that the sample was large and free of bias.
    2. Make identifying flaws like second nature.
    In order to increase your accuracy and timing on flaw questions, knowing every single type of flaw is soooo crucial. As far as nailing the 4/5 rated difficulty flaw questions, it narrows down to the language. Take the extra time you need to read carefully, since one phrase can distinguish the incorrect from the correct answer choice. Never compare the AC's with each other, only compare them to the stimulus. Very similar to reading comp: always refer to what you're given, and make minimal, if not no assumptions.

Hope this helps, wishing you the best of luck :)