Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help! Do I retake?

alexa723alexa723 Member
edited September 2021 in Law School Admissions 100 karma

So I took the LSAT in June for the first time and got a 165, CGPA is 3.76. I'm hoping to go to Boston College or Boston University. I slightly prefer BU, but would be perfectly happy with BC. I didn't plan on retaking because I was above both of BC's medians and not too far below BU's. However, the medians increased, so now BC is 165 instead of 164, and BU is 169 instead of 167. BU's GPA median actually lowered from 3.8 to 3.77 which is good for me, and I'm still above BC's GPA. I was hoping to apply by mid-late October but now am questioning if I should retake the LSAT in November. I think that I would still want to apply before then and tell them not to wait for my score, and then if I get a decision before then and get waitlisted I could send my new score (hopefully it's improved). I haven't studied at all since June but have plenty of clean PTs and I would have about 4 weeks to study. I know it also depends on if I think I can improve and all that, which I do think it's possible but obviously never know. I'd really appreciate any advice!

Retake?
  1. Do I retake in November? If so, should I wait to apply until I get my score Dec. 1st or apply now?53 votes
    1. Retake in Nov. and tell schools not to wait for my score
      13.21%
    2. Retake in Nov. and apply Dec. 1st when I get my score
      30.19%
    3. Don't retake
      56.60%

Comments

• bourke2bourke2 Member
    8 karma

I feel like it might be better to get your application in early if they are both rolling? but i have no expertise I'm just guessing!

• 316 karma

I feel like the LSAT medians might dip down a little back to typical range because of how many people took it this past year but I'm really not sure. Also I was wondering where you saw the new LSAT medians?

• alexa723alexa723 Member
    100 karma

@mattwhitworth56 said:
    I feel like the LSAT medians might dip down a little back to typical range because of how many people took it this past year but I'm really not sure. Also I was wondering where you saw the new LSAT medians?

Some schools have posted the updated medians on their website. Also, some shared them at webinars I attended earlier this month.

• 316 karma

ooo okay ty for the info

• angietalamantesangietalamantes Free Trial Member
    6 karma

Woah, great job on the 165! Holy smokes, I am so proud of you, haha. I honestly wouldn't retake it. I think you'll get in. ROOTING FOR YA

• csharm002csharm002 Member
    352 karma

@mattwhitworth56 said:

you're right. they're expecting medians to drop back towards normal range, whether it's a lot or a little, who knows. The updated medians are on the 7sage top law schools page!

• HopefullyHLSHopefullyHLS Member
    445 karma

Benefit of even 1 point increase > cost of later application --> re-take if you are convinced that you can do better.

• sarakimmelsarakimmel Member
    1488 karma

Updating spreadsheet of new medians:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Oxg1daKToiMystD7rGrbpnHNO-JXdc2ugQMrR0YR7aQ/htmlview#gid=0

Agreed with @HopefullyHLS , if you think you can do better, retake! This year is competitive, have your best application

• trisdhaliwal1trisdhaliwal1 Member
    89 karma

I'd only retake if you're SURE you can do significantly better, like a 167+
    Because god forbid you score worse than before (they'd only take your higher score but a lower score just wouldn't look good)