Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PT average vs actual score experience

in General 316 karma

Hi everyone,
I hope studying is going well! I was wondering if anyone knew what the "typical" range of variance from most recent average PT's compared to the actual test is? The PT average on my four most recent tests is a 165. I haven't taken the LSAT before (taking November exam), so I'm just looking for a little input on other people's experiences. Thanks so much!
- Matt

Comments

• dicino63dicino63 Core Member
    142 karma

I believe most people score a few points (3-5) lower than their PT average, just due to nerves and (sometimes) proctor issues. However, my January take was an exception. Before the take, I was averaging maybe 160, with my highest being 163. I scored a 165 on the January exam. I retook in June, and had some proctor issues, so I got a 164. I am now taking October, and my PT average is 171. I'm hoping that having taken the test twice before, I'll be able to pull a 169+, especially considering my highest BR is 177.

• 316 karma

@dicino63 ok cool thanks for the info. What do you mean by proctoring issues btw?

142 karma

@mattwhitworth56 said:
    @dicino63 ok cool thanks for the info. What do you mean by proctoring issues btw?

I wasn't able to take my original June exam because my bedroom windows did not have blinds. My retake went just as bad because I was disconnected several times and the timer did not stop; I lost about 5 minutes each on LG and RC.

• 316 karma

@dicino63 damn I'm really sorry to hear that. Is there a list you used the next time around to make sure there wouldn't be an issue w the proctoring?

• sarakimmelsarakimmel Member
    1488 karma

@dicino63 , I feel for you, had the same thing happen with losing connection and 5 minutes from my time :(
    This test is stressful enough when everything goes right! Here’s hoping they’ve ironed out the kinks and that everyone has a smooth ride this go-around!

• 316 karma

@sarakimmel I agree! It's unjust that the LSAC doesn't make better accommodations when they aren't able to offer in person testing. But unless their money is affected I doubt they will

• sarakimmelsarakimmel Member
    1488 karma

@mattwhitworth56 , absolutely, if their pocket isn’t effected, they won’t change a thing.

• catbellycatbelly Core Member
    191 karma

A disclaimer: my experience is only my own!!! However, with that said, I dropped about 6 points below my PT average on the August test, and I have spoken to many people who have dropped even 10 points. I would be wary about your score on the PT and just focus on how many you are getting incorrect.

• pestroidangopestroidango Member
    32 karma

5 points lower :/

There is an lsat lottery so to speak, so depending on whether the test u get on that day plays to ur strengths…

142 karma

@mattwhitworth56 said:
    @dicino63 damn I'm really sorry to hear that. Is there a list you used the next time around to make sure there wouldn't be an issue w the proctoring?

Not really, no. I'm taking October in a conference room at work, so hopefully I can avoid any possible issues that way.

• clear227clear227 Core Member
    edited October 2021 350 karma

• giulia.pinesgiulia.pines Member
    466 karma

Just to offer a counter: a friend of mine performed several points higher on test day than she ever did on a PT. IT CAN HAPPEN!

• 316 karma

@"giulia.pines" no doubt. As long as I'm within range of my average PT, like within 5, I'll be okay w that. I'll be super bummed if its like 10 points lower