Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Doing the easiest questions first

in General 316 karma

Hey everyone! I was wondering if people had any takes on the strategy of answering easiest questions first? What’s the minimum amount of time you’ll spend on a question before skipping it in the LR and RC sections? My most recent pts have been pretty consistent in the logic games but RC has been -3 or 4 about half of them and -8 or 9 on half and then LR have been -0 to -4 on most and then a few outliers of -8 and I feel super stressed throughout the sections I struggle on. Could that be because I’m getting in my head on early questions? Bizarrely have been discounting A and E on a lot of questions when I get down to guessing. Anyone feel like making a serious effort to get the easier ones first make a difference?

Comments

• jiaijaz110jiaijaz110 Member
    61 karma

not sure if this is what you're looking for, but something that has REALLY helped me not waste time (or energy!) is by doing the first 12/13 questions first and knocking out as many as i can there. If i don't get an answer i am 100% confident in the first pass thru the answers i will skip it and move on until i get to the 12/13th question. Then, i work from the last question all the way back to where i left off. this has helped me get to the harder questions and devote more time to them and also helps in making me keener on wrong AC's when i go back to the place i left off!

• 316 karma

@jiaijaz110 could you explain what helps about going from the 25th after the 12th ? I feel like a set strategy will help so much

• jiaijaz110jiaijaz110 Member
    61 karma

@mattwhitworth56 yeah! so basically the harder questions are near the end, tackling those right after the easier ones in the beginning will generally allow u to spend more time with them to get them right. rather than wrestling with the questions in the middle put there to slow u down. i found that when i follow this method, i get more questions right am able to get to each question and can skip with more confidence if i'm not 100% certain on something. not only that, but after working with tougher questions in the end, the ones is the middle become easier to understand for me. :-)

• just.lsatjust.lsat Member
    56 karma

What helped me save some time as well was to do the easy questions in the beginning and just getting them out of the way. Also, I wouldn't waste too much energy on them because lingering on the questions in the beginning really wastes your time. So just pick an answer, have faith, and move on. If you are not sure which is the correct answer, then just skip it. That way, when later you are done with all the questions, you will most likely to have some time left to go back to them and check the answers or redo the question!

• Jordan JohnsonJordan Johnson Member
    edited October 2021 686 karma

@jiaijaz110 said:
    not sure if this is what you're looking for, but something that has REALLY helped me not waste time (or energy!) is by doing the first 12/13 questions first and knocking out as many as i can there. If i don't get an answer i am 100% confident in the first pass thru the answers i will skip it and move on until i get to the 12/13th question. Then, i work from the last question all the way back to where i left off. this has helped me get to the harder questions and devote more time to them and also helps in making me keener on wrong AC's when i go back to the place i left off!

I do almost exactly this same thing and it's never let me down. I do the first 7-12 questions, then jump to somewhere in the 17-20 zone. Then I decide which I'd like to conquer and which I'd like to come back to.

For me, it controls for the variability in question difficulty (which on newer tests, seems less predictably distributed than older tests were), so I rarely get "stuck" on a specific question early on, and vice-versa.